Historical War Militaria Forum
Kevin H

Infantry Officer - American Volksdeutsche

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for showing us such a nice and interesting grouping from your collection.

I have always felt that those USA Germans were somehow a special breed.

I like it.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Yes, very nice. I have two that have the parents with US addresses.   Some of my grandpa's family left North Dakota and went to Washington state in the 1930's, to join the other German communities there.  My grandpa's parents were Volk Deutsche from the Minsk area. They left for America about 1904-05.

Hi Kevin, 

Really nice set... I'm jealous!

My research shows that Leutnant d.R. Wollenweber was wounded on 24 September 1942 as a platoon commander in 7./Inf.Rgt.203. Presumably he recovered and returned to the troops because he is recorded as falling ill on 30 October as Führer 3./Inf.Rgt.203. Unfortunately, when I click on your lo-res pic of the wound pages, a larger version does not come up (all the other higher-res images work). 

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, 

Really nice set... I'm jealous!

My research shows that Leutnant d.R. Wollenweber was wounded on 24 September 1942 as a platoon commander in 7./Inf.Rgt.203. Presumably he recovered and returned to the troops because he is recorded as falling ill on 30 October as Führer 3./Inf.Rgt.203. Unfortunately, when I click on your lo-res pic of the wound pages, a larger version does not come up (all the other higher-res images work). 

Jason

Thanks for the extra details Jason, it is a definite bonus that helps build the man's picture of service. I seem to have the same problem with the Lazarett pages so will attach it again here...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Nice extra information, Jason. Where is his wounding noted form 24.9 as it isn't mentioned in his SB. Possibly only a minor injury and then "bleibt bei der Truppe"? I know such woundings were not recorded in the SB only on the Verlustliste. 

It has been a very long time since this thread was started but thanks to a friend in the US some more information has been uncovered which helps to form a bigger picture of Hans Wollenweber and his family and shows why it is worthwhile revisiting items in our collections to see if new information has come to light.

Hans was the first of three children to Wilhelm & Frieda Wollenweber who were married in 1911 and sailed to the US in September/October of that year on the SS Pretoria (first image below. The Pretoria would be used as a troop ship by the US Navy after WW-1). They arrived in Philadelphia on 27th October 1911.

SS_Pretoria_LOC_det.4a15908.jpg.76c08c764fb0eb7be6b4aac860077a12.jpg

After his birth his mother (the first photo below) took him back to Germany and returned to the US in 1913 (maybe showing off baby Hans to family in Germany). As can be seen on this departure list and the manifest for the SS Patricia (see picture below) he was just 7 months old when they returned to Washington DC. 

702522542_SSPatricia.jpg.013f2d3fc48d43315e82fd33a8742334.jpg2026137070_Ship001)PassengerListDep26Apr1913.jpg.fe6545a9fcfcb76bf7ab6b2cba511dcc.jpg

Hans sister was born in September 1914 in Germany so it looks like the family returned to Germany in 1914. However, the family history from then on leaves questions unanswered. Hans's mother died in Berlin in 1927 aged just 36 and his father died in the US in 1949 (see grave stone below). Han's brother was born in Germany in 1918 and died in Germany in 2001. However, his sister died in Washington DC in 1998 so did the father and daughter return to the US after the death of the mother leaving the boys behind with family in Germany or did they return after the war or at completely different times to each other? Further digging is needed but that question may never be answered.

1568010324_WilhelmWollenweberGrave.jpg.82f7303d581233e31222ef40a8f9ab8f.jpg

It looks like Hans stayed in Germany after the war and had two daughters from one relationship and also 2 other children with his wife (whether he was married twice is unknown.) He died in Germany in 2004.

This is a very interesting read Kevin,one man's journey as the research unfolds the story.I sometimes question if I collect for the history of a certain period or the quest for the rest of the story.thanks for bumping this up.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.