Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian R

Show us your Stalingrad related Documents

HWMFBranding.png

Show us your Stalingrad related documents

- Show us your Stalingrad related IDs

==============================================================

Here is a great group to a young Gefreiter who served with Panzer Grenadier Division 79, 16. Panzer Division. The division fought in the northern part of Stalingrad and its suburbs and suffered tremendously from street fighting. When the Soviets encircled the Sixth Army in November, 1942, 16. Panzer Division was cut into two groups with the majority surrounded in the Kessel. By early December, the Red Army was attempting to squeeze the pocket. Gefreiter Willi Pfau of 2. Kompanie was wounded in action on December 10th and ultimately flown out of the pocket. The extent of his wound is unknown, but it surely saved his like.

While recovering from his wounds, or shortly after, Pfau was attached to Panzer Erst Regiment 64 and was undoubtedly added to the newly formed (recreated) Panzer Grenadier Regiment 64. He went on to serve with the unit until at least November, 1944 where he was awarded the Panzer Assault badge in Bronze.

One of the most interesting things about this group is that he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class by the Ersatzheeres in March, 1943. He likely received his award on this level as his original unit was destroyed. Its also possible that all or most soldiers who were wounded in the pocket and escaped were given an EK2 if they didn't already have one, or a record of one. I have seen four examples of this type of EK citation and three out of four of them were awarded to soldiers who were wounded in the Kessel and escaped. I'm curious if anyone has ever seen this type of EK citation (awarded by the Replacement Army) rendered for anything other than Stalingrad.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Thanks 1

A very nice Stalingrad related set with proof that the soldier was actually inside the Kessel.

Its also possible that all or most soldiers who were wounded in the pocket and escaped were given an EK2 if they didn't already have one, or a record of one.
Hi Brian,

From documentation in my possession, it is apparent there was a regulation that permitted any soldier flown out of the pocket to be awarded the EK2. For example, I found this, written by a company commander in Pi.Btl.305 who was going to bat to get the Iron Cross for one of his men (a rear area guy and driver, so not a front-line soldier):

"According to the

report of Gefreiter Schneider, he was transported out of the Stalingrad pocket by

plane on 23.12.42. I therefore request you review whether or not the Iron Cross

Second Class can be proposed on the basis of the existing guidelines for the

bestowal of the Iron Cross to Stalingradkämpfer [stalingrad combatants]."

Jason

This is great information, Jason. I wonder if this was soley the case with the EK2 or applied to holders of the EK2 that were eligible for an EK1. Also, I wonder if this was just the case for Heer troops in that a different scenario existed for LW survivors.

The case of the potential for an automatic EK2 for the wounded who flew out of the pocket is interesting. It seems that there could have been scenarios where destroyed units were reformed in 1943 and processed awards for wounded survivors. Perhaps it depended on the units and I guess there is a chance that a survivor could have recived an EK2 from the Replacement Army as well as his original (but reforming) unit.

Thanks again,

Brian

Hi Brian,

While looking for something else, I came across Pfau's name and home address in the division's post-war newsletter. Seems he was active in the comrade's group and still alive in the 1990s.

Jason

Hi Brian,

While looking for something else, I came across Pfau's name and home address in the division's post-war newsletter. Seems he was active in the comrade's group and still alive in the 1990s.

Jason

Thanks Jason. This is interesting... and gives the group just a bit more of a personal feel.

Hi all

I thought I would share a nice Flakkampfabzeichen Urkunde to Heinrich Todt of Flakregt 37 which was part of the 9th Flakdivision. It is hand signed on the 26th October 1942 by General Wolfgang Pickert.

Pickert was only promoted to General three weeks before. He was awarded the KC on the 11th January 1943 whilst still in the Stalingrad pocket and luckily for him was flown out the next day. It wasn't until June 1944 did he qualify for the Oakleaves to his KC.

The 9th Flak Division was involved in the offensive on Stalingrad and also responsible for safeguarding the doomed Sixth Army from air attack. I hope you like it

Darren

Here is a recent purchase I thought I would share with you all. A modest KVK 2nd class with swords to Martin Waizenegger who was part of the 297th Infantry Division. The Urkunde is signed in field by the leader of the Division General der Artillerie Max Pfeffer. This in my experience is a seldom seen signature and to be dated during the battle of Stalingrad is special. At the time the Division was holding the line south of Stalingrad between Tinguta railway station and Abgonerovo railway station.

Martin Waizenegger is not listed on the Volksbund so maybe he survived the battle and the war. General Pfeffer was not so lucky and was captured along with his remaining troops.

Apparently on the 25th January 1943 as the battle was coming to a close General Preffer with General Vassol and General Hartmann were making a last stand on the railway embankment of Stalingrad south Railway Station. All three generals were ordered to stand down but Hartmann was KIA and shortly after Pfeffer and Vassol went into Soviet captivity.

General Pfeffer was to live in Soviet prisons until his death, age 72 in January 1956. The pink line across the signature is not permanent.

As Nick told, again a historical interesting related Urkunde to Stalingrad. You've quite a sum!

Thanks for sharing with us.

/Bart

Hello,

Times you want to imagine this little Urkundenlot consisting of VWA and EK2.

Obergefreite Hubert Baur was in the Werfer Regiment 53 which belonged to the 14 Armoured Division.
The Division was assigned in August 1942 and therefore the 6.Armee she participated in the Battle of Stalingrad.

1943 all units have been destroyed with the words Stalingrad.

According to the Volksbund Hubert Baur applied since December 1942 missing / killed in Stalingrad.

Surname: Baur
First name: Hubert
Date of birth: 22/12/1912
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 01/12/1942
Todes-/Vermisstenort: Town Stalingrad

on the EK2 document lacks the signature came more often ?

greetings Marcel,

on the EK2 document lacks the signature came more often ?

It should be the signature of Generalmajor Ferdinand Heim.

Jason

Hi Guys !

A small pioner group , with a couple of pics .

Jan Arne

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this