Historical War Militaria Forum

Jerry B:

Thank you for sharing your latest acquisition with the Forum, fantastic Welch regiment swagger stick.

Best regards,

John

Hi Jerry,

Due to all your so interesting and most informative Welch / Welsh threads, that Regiment did become known to me.

The spelling of the C and the S, the time tables for it, different versions and material that was used.

And now we see here another great piece of history with an incorrect spelling that was used for about 80 years.

But why did they use that incorrect spelling for such a long time ?

While visiting a couple of shows and markets in the UK many years ago, I was always interested to have a look at such swagger sticks, looking for the Sterling silver hall marked ones, and although I did encounter very nice examples and nicely priced ones (say cheap), I never bought one.

No idea if your fine example does have any hall marks on it, but it does have a nice silver shiny look to it.

Jerry, thank you for showing us your latest, fresh yesterday find, here on the forum.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thanks John and E-J for your appreciation.

It is not hallmarked, but the end piece with the logo appears to be silver, the other half is nickel plated.  It is the only example with the C spelling and the incorrectly translated motto that I know of, though I am sure others will exist belonging to collectors who do not post on the net and tucked away in homes among other familly treasures.

Thats a nice item to have jerry.

I would have bought that . :thumbup:

Thanks Mate.  I could not believe my luck when I found it.

It probably dates from between 1881 and 1891 when the motto spelling was changed from NEU to NA, but after the Cardwell reforms when they no longer were the 41st Foot.

• Like 1

Guest Rosie

Hi, I have my Grandfather's swagger stick from the Royal Welch - 6th battalion, mottos Ich Dien & Gwell angau na chwilydd. silver top.  RWG Auctions are going to offer it at Carew auction. 

12 hours ago, Guest Rosie said:

Hi, I have my Grandfather's swagger stick from the Royal Welch - 6th battalion, mottos Ich Dien & Gwell angau na chwilydd. silver top.  RWG Auctions are going to offer it at Carew auction. 

It is Welsh Regiment not Royal Welsh.  A nice stick, probably fetch between £50-100

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.