Historical War Militaria Forum

An early example of the MKIII Turtle helmet, dated 1943 on the liner and from details of its manufacture made by BMB, liner by CCL.  It has the very early textured khaki green paint which was quickly changed to brown, so not often to see them in this colour.  This type of helmet, well its nearly identical follow up type the MKIV, continued in use with the British until the 1980's, including use in the Falklands and was used on D Day in WWII.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Jery B:

Hello! Thank you for sharing your MKIII helmet with the Forum, great background information. 

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

Definitely worth another look Jerry you lucky so and so examples like this do not pop up very often they are quite rare in this configuration in the early factory khaki green as there were very limited numbers of these produced if you ever decide to part with it please give me the first right to refusal.

Regards Mark

• Like 2

Fantastic helmet Jerry, I would love one for the collection. How are they different to the Mk.IV and V? and how can I date one to wartime?

Oli

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I was lucky to get it.  As already mentioned the early versions have textured khaki green paint, which quickly changes to brown, followed soon after by the change to the lift the dot liner on the MKIV.  Some will have dated shells and/or liners and as mentioned the green paint only seen on the earliest versions, though post war examples with the later type LTD liners are often green, but a different shade and without the textured finish.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.