Historical War Militaria Forum
Bryang

My Grandfather's Portrait - Luftwaffe 1943

My mother is German, and lived as a refugee during the Second World War.  Her father served originally as a Sailor with the German Navy.  Although I'm not sure where I have it put up, I have an old photo of him in a white German Sailor's uniform standing at the back of a small naval craft (possibly E-boat), with navy banner seen in the background.

Apparently after service in the Navy he joined the Lufwaffe to be a Fallschirmjager.  He was subsequently killed in action on the Russian front in 1943.  My mother has the official death notification presented to her family, as well as a letter her father wrote to her shortly before his death.

In my home office, I have the only other photograph of him.

I believe that he was a junior Sergeant or Corporal.  He doesn't have the Fallschirmjager badge, however it is my understanding that this was common as the war progressed and that actual parachute operations were no longer done.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Bryan, you can post the sailor photograph also here in this Forum. Do you know more about your grandfather's unit, place of death (where exactly) etcetera? 

On the portrait he is an "Unteroffizier", wears the Hitlerjugend membership pin (so prior to his service he was with the HJ) and the Luftwaffe / Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung for (probably 4 years). 

As he doesn't wear the Fallschirmschützenabzeichen on this photograph doesn't mean he didn't earn it, maybe later? In 1943 personnel still learned to jump in the schools, maybe he didn't got all jumps to qualify but as said could be maybe he never learned to jump.

I agree with what Bart has said. Very nice for you to have this photo of your family.

Since you are a blood relative, you are entitled to all of the information that the Berlin Document Center has on him. It may take a long time but it could be worth it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.