Historical War Militaria Forum
Holden

Adolf Hitler - present to Eva Braun.

Hello all.

This is my first post on your forum. I have been a collector for nearly 30 years and I think a few on here will maybe know me.

I acquired the painting below recently - its a real find:

Im Talgrund (At the bottom of the valley)

Signed lower right by Third Reich favoured artist - Oskar Mulley.

Exhibited at the Haus der Kunst 1943 – catalogue number 607, hung in Hall 19. Purchased by Adolf Hitler and given to Eva Braun as a present. The red dot on the back that it was purchased by The Fuhrer – all items he purchased from the 1937 to 1944 exhibition, were marked in the same way.

The painting was also mentioned in Eva Brauns will from 26. October 1944, page 6:

"Mr. Fritz Braun (the father) shall receive: 1 Mercedes convertible 3.2 (kept in the Obersalzberg garage), 1 pair of binoculars, 1 painting by Mulley "Im Talgrund".

This painting was also published as a picture postcard by Heinrich Hoffmann (HDK series number 202).

You can see the painting hanging in the Haus der Kunst in the below link:

http://www.gdk-research.de/en/obj19360596.html

It’s a great find – hope you enjoy this post.

Regards to all

Dave.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen. To know the pleasure of having an appreciation of art, is certainly a gift from God!!

Regards

Dave

holden:

Welcome HWMF! Thank you for sharing your fantastic painting with the Forum, excellent acquisition. Your display room is wonderful, please post more images.

Best regards,

John

Thank you again for your comments.

Here are two further paintings from my collection - both are well documented in the below publication. Also below the paintings can be seen hanging in old photos of the internal rooms of the Troost house in Munich.

Paul Ludwig Troost - Hitlers first architect and of course designer of the Haus Der Kunst, Munich. The below paintings are of a subject called "Susannah" - and said to have been a close friend of Gerdy Troost. Both painted in 1931 and mentioned also in the HDK official publication for the 1937-43 exhibition:

Regards to all.

Dave

• Like 1

A wonderful  display.

I  always  liked  the  picture  that  hung in  the  entrance  hall of  the  Hotel  Turken on  the  Obsersalzburg ,  the  farmer  using  a  scythe.  That  apparently hung in  the  Berghof. A rugged painting.

Thanks  for  adding  your latest  photos  to  this  thread Dave. fascinating items :thumbup:

Jim

I know this painting well Jim - it was one of many "confiscated" by the American forces. I am away from home at present but will find a photo for you in my library when I return home. I also believe this was a Haus der Kunst painting in the 1937-44 exhibition. Under the instructions of Ronald Regan (then US President), this painting and many others were returned to the rightful owners in 1987. Unfortunately 5% of those "confiscated" - still remain in private collections in the USA.

Below three interesting little works. Artistic value is not ground-breaking, but the history is interesting. All 3 hung in the Third Reich Embassy in London from 1933 to 45. At the end of WW2 the Embassy was closed and all items were auctioned. You will see from the auction booklet, all were won by Eric Campion and went to his revered collection

Regards to all

Dave

www.broadswordmilitaryhistory.com

Jim  - the painting you mention is now hanging at the RK in Berchtesgaden. I recently had a personal tour of the building and bunker system - the entire building is not usually open to the public. The said painting hangs in the what was, the main NSDAP meeting room - many wonderful things remain in this room from the era. Unfortunately I was not allowed to photo internal, but in December I shall travel back for an invited dinner in the same room - I will see if I can get a photo then.

Kind Regards

Dave.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.