Historical War Militaria Forum
Dave M

British WW2 Commando hat ?

Hello chaps.

Had this for a few years and i was told its the correct size and colour.Approx 24 inches.

It is not long enough to even tie around your neck as a army scarf and cap comforter,wrong colour anyway.

Got told this item was issued to camandos in ww2 as for its colour and size.

Do not know much about this item.

Any comments welcome.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Hi Dave lovely example I can not confirm they were only worn by commandos but I do seem to remember an image somewere of them being worn by Canadians as well I will have to see if I can find it again I really need to add one of these to my headgear collection as well.

Regards Mark

• Like 1

You see lots of these for sale, I think a seller in the Nederlands always has lots on ebay.  I have been tempted a few times to add one to my collection, but have not so far.

Cool item.

I know the seller you are talking about Jerry and for what they are they seem to demand a fairly high price in the market place.

Regards Mark

I agree jerry and mark,

However most you see are army and long enough to use as a scarf.(much to long and wrong colour)

This one is not it is only 24 inches long.

Here is cap comforter/scarf for army use.

note the length.

He even tucks it in to show its shorter.

Interesting Dave thank you for your insite and the reference link to be quite honest I did not realize there were two variations of said comforter cap so I would assume the longer cap comforter would be a standard issue item and the shortened down version is as you said for issue to specialized units and or commandos.

I would think the variation that you have would be much harder to come by.

Regards Mark

Hi mark thank you for your input.

As i said in post #1 i no nothing about these i have only stated what i got told which could be right or wrong and only what i have observed from google search.

Im still trying to resurch this item.

Mark and jerry once again thanks guys for your input so far.

The more information the better so if you find anything please post up.

cheers

Dave

Thanx Dave I will see if I can locate that image of a Canadian sniper wearing one to add to the thread .

Regards Mark

Hi Dave I could not find the image I was looking for unfortunately but here is a picture that was  taken of Canadian soldiers crossing the river Mehr in Germany, February of 1945, I can not make out if the are wearing straight toques or commando caps ?

Regards Mark 

Kozowy

Its interesting to see 2 types of helmet net being used here.

What is the information on these.

Is it late war early war types ?

Hi  David IMO there are three different types of camo nets being used in this image there look to be two different variations to the Canadian two tone being used the earlier woven nets which would have been produced to fit on the Mk II helmet but were to small in circumference to fit the Mk III and a later war produced knotted two tones that came out in very late 1943 early 1944 these were a little larger in size and could accommodate the new Mk III's,HCDR's,HSDR'S,HSAT's and the HSRAC.

There as well appears to be a late war produced British large knotted net being worn by the soldier second from the front on his Mk III helmet here are a few helmets from my collection to demonstrate the possible difference in the nets being used in the image above.

Regards Mark

• Like 1

Mark, if you have a 2-tone Canadian net to spare, please let me know....  I have a beautiful Mk.2 from the Canadian Lamp Company that needs one !

Another thing, I feel pretty sure that the commando caps was worn only by commandos, and the more regular troops would use the one described earlyer....  But I have no solid evidence, its just my opinion ...

Hi Peter sorry for the late reply I have just gifted a Canadian Mk II with two tone net and field dressing to a fellow collector in Sweden to add to his Mk II collection I will see what I can scrounge up for you though do you have a preference ? cotton woven and or knotted are the two variations that were produced .

PS...here is a lovely example I must show you with brown and green Oil cloth ( America cloth )and strips of burlap sand bags which is evident from the one stitch line you can see in the image below

Regards Mark

HI , gents  , the ` CAPS COMFORTER` has been around since long before the Great War , They can be found in period photos as far back as the 1890`s,.

They were designed originally as a head cover for sleeping out in the field  but because of the comfort and versatility became a general item of  field wear.

The Commando units and other special forces adopted  these purely  for practical reasons as tin helmets   made noise if they clanged or banged .

For many years these were a rare hard to obtain item  think I payed £80.00 quid for mine back in the late 1980`s - they just wernt about  and any that did survive - like the wool issue jumpers were usually knacked - the moths love them.

Over the last five years many have turned up  - there every where , alot of these have come from ancient  redundent army stores depots in Israel

( Israel  bought up huge quantities of kit and equipment  from any one and any where  whilst trying to build up their army  in the years after WW.2 )

you can get a good early dated example for less than 30 quid

kind regards ,Michael

Good evening members.

Imo the ones i see on dealers lists are scalfs used as a hat.

The one in post #1 shown is way to short to fit even around my neck.

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply, I have just found a Canadian helmet net of the 2-tone type, Im waiting for it in the mail ..

Of course I will upload Pictures when I get it..

G'day All,

Here's my first post here!. I think these are universal issue here's two I have a British 43 dated one (bottom) which is 73cm x 21cm and one I think maybe Canadian measures 65cm x 22cm these will fit as a short scarf as I've done on my para set up

• Like 2

Rene welcome buddy.

As you can read from my first post i do not know a lot about these items.

My one will not fit around my neck so i must be just a big fella.

The response has been fantastic so far and i am learning a lot.

Thank you guys.

Hi Rene, welcome to the forum and good to see you here.  I know you have a lot of headgear and other allied items so hopefully you will add more of your items here and your knowledge.

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.