Historical War Militaria Forum
Sobel

A small collection of hats I don't collect

Hi all, it may sound like an odd title but I actually don't collect hats!, over the years and travels however, I've ended up acquiring a few (As you do) so I thought I'd post them as I can't think of anything else to do with them, My grandson plays with them, nothing special but enjoy.

regards

Alex K

Please login or register to see this attachment.

NVA

• Like 1

USSR

• Like 1

Poland

This one has a special significance to me as I acquired it whilst on a visit to Krakow to see some relatives in about 1972 and has a story to it.

regards

• Like 2

Sobel:

Hello! Thank you for sharing your visor covers with the Forum, nice assortment. I really like the cover you acquired during your visit to Krakow, please tell us the story about it.

Best regards,

John

Hi John, Thanks for the like. The story is not to spectacular, I visited my cousin in Krakow, she, I and her husband went out to Krakow to do some sight seeing and came upon a shop that sold military uniforms etc for those doing compulsory military service and I mentioned that I had an interest in such items, I thought that that was the end of it, however unbeknown to me, the next day my cousin's husband turned up with the hat posted, (As someone who had done his military service he was entitled to buy such items) much to my surprise.

The problem was that at that time under communist rule it was illegal to take military items out of the country! My father back in England had asked me to bring back several Kilograms of fresh dill gerkins :ohmy: (He used to pickle his own gerkins back in England), so my cousin hit on the idea of hiding the hat inside this large bag of gerkins (No I'm not joking) which she did. when the time came to head back home my fiancé, and I boarded the train at Krakow station, with suitcases and a large bag of gerkins and the train set off back to Ostend, however we had to cross the border from Poland into East Germany and we knew that border control would do the usual checks, so it was a nerve-wracking journey, at the border, sure enough the Polish border officers entered the train and our compartment, checked passports etc and looked around at the luggage on the racks, he spotted the bag but thankfully didn't look inside it (He most probably thought I was just a strange Englishman), the train then set off to Berlin through east Berlin then West Berlin etc I did not feel at all at ease until we crossed over into the BRD, I could then relax a bit more. My father was pleased with his gerkins!!

So every time I look at that hat my mind goes back to sitting in that train compartment!

regards

Alex

• Like 1

Sobel:

Hello! Thank you very much for telling your great story behind the visor cover from Krakow, truly unforgettable. 

Best regards,

John

Thanks for the comments. (I actually collect orders decorations and medals).

Alex K

Hi all, given the fact that I've stated I don't collect hats! just found another one I don't collect :w00t:

DDR, MDi, Prison Service, none officer, Date code  A (1977) grey Piping and cords.

regards

• Like 1

Hi all, just to add to the collection, (I've finally admitted to myself that it looks like I do collect hats!!) a few more, The first DDR Grenzpolizei, the second Airforce officer and the third, BRD cap used and named to an Oberst in the Kampftuppenschule 1, (Since now retired) this is typical of what I would consider a German hat to look like, full shaped, crusher style with a pronounced saddle shape, a few minor finger marks but otherwise in great condition. made by August Muller, I was never keen on BRD hats but these are beginning to grow on me

regards

Alex K

Another one

Heerfliegertruppe early dark grey, light grey piping dated October 1967 manufacturer Bamberger

Sobel:

Hello! Thank you for updating your topic, more grate images of hats you do not collect. Your are building a very nice 'Cold War' hat collection.

Best regards,

John