Historical War Militaria Forum
Sobel

Colourised Black and White images

Hi Larry, thanks, You'll have to post some more of yours, I like the weddings ones.

I admit that whilst I'm fairly familiar with military uniforms, civilian uniforms are not my strongest point, but I like to have a go, Here's a Reichsbahn employee I've had a quick go at, I think it's about right, what do you think, you seem quite familiar with civi uniforms

regards

Alex K

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi Patrick it's not too bad at all actually taking into account a very early attempt, the uniform looks quite neat, as I mentioned before, faces can be the most difficult to make realistic, it does take a lot of practice to achieve all the different skin tones and shades found on a face, but the more you do the more confident you become so well done and keep at it. 

Alex K

• Like 1

Hi Patrick it's not too bad at all actually taking into account a very early attempt, the uniform looks quite neat, as I mentioned before, faces can be the most difficult to make realistic, it does take a lot of practice to achieve all the different skin tones and shades found on a face, but the more you do the more confident you become so well done and keep at it. 

Alex K

I agree, good early attempt.

Here is a colourised photo (DLV) from my wedding portrait collection.

Cheers,

Larry

Thank you Bruno.

One more for now. A close-up portrait of Leutnant Walter Troger of Artillerie Regiment 268 who was KIA on 21 August, 1941 during fighting near Jelnja, Russia.

Cheers,

Larry

I have a bad habit of picking a subject and then colourising suitable images until I decide enough is enough (For the time being) I then I move onto the next subject.

One subject was POW's and I did quite a few, so to have a clear-out, the ones a consider to be OK are attached. hope you don't mind. They show resignation, despair, confusion, arrogance and glad to have made it

regards

Alex K

Very nice Alex!

From one of my albums, members of Inf. Rgt 19 pose with two Russian women and a boy outside their house.

Note the captured Russian T-34 tank with German markings.

Cheers,

Larry

From the same album a PAK crew fires on two Russian tanks across the river. One tank (just to the left of the rifle barrel) is on fire.

Cheers,

Larry

• Like 1

Also from the same album a 3.7cm Pak 36 fires on targets in the tree line in the distance.

Hi all, Hitler congratulating a general, at the Wolfschanze I think, anyone know who he is?

Regards

Alex K

He is General der Infanterie Erich JASCHKE, reciving his oaks to KC from AH.

Lado

Hi Patrick, thanks, I have no problem with you saving them, at least you asked (many don't and my colourisations have appeared on numerous other sites without my knowledge). With regards to colourisation, it's really a case of practice, after a while it does become quite easy, faces are the hardest thing to make realistic.

A few more

Rudolf Hess

Otto Dietrich and an unknown SS man, this is so "Over the Top" I had to colourise it.

regards

Alex K

The unknown is SS-Gruppenführer der Polizei Dr. Otto Gustav WÄCHTER, DKs holder.

Lado

Larry and Sobel:

Hello! Thank you for updating topic with more great images you guys have colorized, great work.

Best regards,

John

Thanks John.

Here is another colorization from an Inf. Rgt. 154 album. Photo taken on the outskirts of Leningrad, early 1942.

Cheers,

Larry

• Like 1

From the same album a PAK crew fires on two Russian tanks across the river. One tank (just to the left of the rifle barrel) is on fire.

Cheers,

Larry

Like this one very much, nicely done, Larry. Even though sometimes the colors aren't perfect, you really achieve to make the images come alive when coloring it. Nice job!

Thanks.

Please let me know what colors you think are not correct. All suggestions are welcome.

Here is another from a Flak Rgt. 11 album.

Cheers,

Larry

• Like 1

Thanks.

Please let me know what colors you think are not correct. All suggestions are welcome.

Here is another from a Flak Rgt. 11 album.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry, I mostly mean that it is hard to know how each color exactly was etc. like background or what exact color that had. Lighter or darker and so on but you always achieve to make it come alive like you could stand there and that it's the view which you would see with your own eyes. 

It is true that some of my colors are guesswork. I do a lot of research on uniforms, medals, vehicle colors etc. I try to be as accurate as possible. Background colors are hard to get right, I usually

can get it right by looking around me, seeing the colors of trees, plants and things in the distance such as hills. I don't always get it right and I am always open to suggestions.

I try to make my colorizations look like photos which were taken yesterday, with colors which are subdued and not oversaturated. This gives the colorization a natural look.

Here is an old colorization of a Luftwaffe motorized unit in a northern French town.

Cheers,

Larry

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.