Historical War Militaria Forum
Jerry B

My fathers Medals, cap badge, service records 53rd Welsh divisional signals TA

Had these since my Father passed away in 1993. He was a WWII vet who served with the Royal Corps of Signals before, during and after the war and was a WOI (warrant officer first class) when he left. He was mentioned in Dispatches for carrying a wounded trooper to safety whilst under enemy fire and on another occasion was himself wounded by shrapnel when the troopship he was on was attacked by Torpedo.

The badge is the plastic war time economy issue.

I also have two pictures of him in the Western Desert and on the reverse of the picture with the wine bottles,it says on the reverse, "these wine bottles WERE full", implying that they had drunk the wine!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Thanks for sharing this important, not replaceable, family history. Keep your father in your heart.

/Bart

Hi Jerry,

I can only second Bart's words.

Thank you for showing us your father's mementoes'.

Any date / position, name of the ship he was on for the Uboat attack.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thanks all.

Sadly Eric-Jan, I do not know the details, but I have applied to the ministry for his service records and I am still waiting for them to arrive. I assume it was in the Med area and mid war, but that is only an assumption.

He still had some of the shrapnel in his leg until he passed away.

Adding some new pics of my Fathers medals with detail shots of the inscription on the TA medal.

Regards,

Jerry

Excellent Jerry are the other also engraved or just the TA

Just the TA Wallace, which means that unless the Vet was TA, his medals were not engraved, though the commonwealth countries engraved theirs, just not the Brits, which many Vets were annoyed about and some had them privately engraved.

Regards,

Jerry

My fathers service record have arrived.

He joined the Territorial Army in 1936 with the 53rd Welsh Divisional signals, serving on the home front with them until early 1942 when he was sent to Malaya, but was instead diverted to North Africa.  He saw out the rest of the war there and in Italy, serving with various units under the command of Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, Central Mediterranean Force, & British Forces North Africa.  The exact details of some of the units he served with have yet to be deciphered, as it is mostly in handwritten initials.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for posting your father's service record.

I see that there is no information listed for the ship he was on, and no information on being wounded.

Any idea where to find such information, or didn't they keep such information in a person's service record ?

Best regards

Eric-Jan

They would not have listed the ship in these records though I was surprised that it does not list his being wounded.  Interestingly it lists him as being born in 1917, though other records show he was born in 1919.

I did find his listing for being mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette, it is shown about a third of the way down in the left hand column,though it does not say when or where or why he got it.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37368/supplements/5808

Thanks Jerry, yes I do see him listed there, 2571834 Sgt. L. F. BOND.

Do you know the date he was wounded ?

Best regards

Eric-Jan

I only know about his wounding from him telling me about it not long before he passed away in 1993.  I can only assume that it was a very minor wound (though left him with shrapnel in his body) and probably the ship he was on was not sunk during the attack, though that is only speculation on my part.

I can apply to have the details of his Mention researched at the national archives at Kew for a fee.

On another forum some of the abbreviations have been deciphered and it seems he served with 73rd heavy AA regiment, then with 7th Gor, not certain on this one, then with 3rd AA regiment operations room, then 48th AA regiment ops room, then 16th line of communications signals regiment, then 1st L of C signals regiment which I think was in Rome.

bumping my late fathers medals, it think this was the first post in this section on this forum

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.