Historical War Militaria Forum
GWilliamson

Insignia of the Marineküstenpolizei

The MKP Gorget was one of the smallest, and did not feature a chain. The reason for this is that it was not normally worn on the centre of the chest, but by a horizontal pin fitting which was passed through loops sewn to the wearers tunic just below the breast eagle.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

The Marineküstenpolizei cuffband. A relatively rare beast.

It can be found in machine embroidered form on blue wool or blue doeskin, in hand embroidered cord and in hand embroidered gilt wire.

From photographic evidence, it was often not worn.

Shoulder straps worn by MKP bore a small gilt anchor. Note that the anchor is unfouled (i.e. it doesn't have the rope twined around the anchor)

Gordon,

Thanks again for showing some gems here on the forum.

You say that the Marineküstenpolizei cuffband is a relatively rare beast, but that gorget and shoulder boards are hard to find too.

Great Marineküstenpolizei material.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

I agree with Eric-Jan and thanks for learning us more about it. Do you have any photographs of these in wear? As the MKP isn't seen much.

'Bart V. said:
I agree with Eric-Jan and thanks for learning us more about it. Do you have any photographs of these in wear? As the MKP isn't seen much.

/Bart

Yes, photos of the MKP are quite hard to find. I am fortunate to own one of only two known (so far) photos of the Gorget worn in the regulation manner. I have not yet seen a photo where both the Gorget and cuffband are worn at the same time.

The MKP gorget is a piece that I was looking for a while. Last Kassel fair there was a nice one but with one of the anchor buttons missing, so I passed of it X( , some day.

This is a nice pictrure that I saved from internet.

Well I do hope that you will show the rest of your gorget too Morten.....

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hi Eduardo,

I missed your post until now, but that is a superb photo. All of the photos I have of MKP show either officers or warrant officers, always with the visor cap if a cap is worn. Nice to see a shot of a junior NCO with the sleeve rank badge. So I guess that the Matrosenmütze must also have been worn by MKP and must have been with the regular "Kriegsmarine" ribbon.

Actually, this shot posted by Eduardo becomes more interesting the more I look at it.

The regulation trade badge for the MKP was the unfouled Anchor (klarer Anker), yet this guy wears the fouled Anchor (unklarer Anker). Also with his rank, the pea Jacket would normally be worn over the traditional sailors shirt, yet this junior NCO wears what looks more like a senior ranks Reefer jacket worn with the typical senior ranks shirt and tie.

MIx of uniforms was common in the MKP. In this photo we see two NCOs. both wearing the correct KM SNCO Reefer jacket with KM breast eagle, but whereas one wears the correct KM visor cap matching the KM Reefer jacket, the other retains his former Wasserschutzpolizei visor cap. The person just out of shot to the left wears both Wasserschutzpolizei Reefer and Wasserschutzpolizei cap.

Another photo from the same set of the SNCO at right on the first photo shows the shoulder straps and the correct klarer Anker can be seen.

Hi Morten,

Your photo shows the NCO in the uniform of the WSP (Wasserschutzpolizei), but as those who were transfered into the MKP continued to wear their WSP uniforms , at least in the beginning, it could very well be that this guy is serving in the MKP.

Nice pictures mates, this is a really interesting thread :thumbup:

Hi Eduardo,

I missed your post until now, but that is a superb photo. All of the photos I have of MKP show either officers or warrant officers, always with the visor cap if a cap is worn. Nice to see a shot of a junior NCO with the sleeve rank badge. So I guess that the Matrosenmütze must also have been worn by MKP and must have been with the regular "Kriegsmarine" ribbon.

Gordon, I have some more pictures saved from this guy, he is wearing the junior NCO sleeve rank badge, reefer jacket wihtout shoulder boards and regular NCO visor cap. Here you can see it in use with a coat with same badges and also without shoulder boards.

Hello Eduardo,

Another super photo, especially as it proves that the KM visor cap was not only worn by Senior NCOs but in some circumstances could also be worn by a Junior NCO. This is the first ever photo I have seen of a JNCO wearing the Visor cap instead of the Matrosenmütze.

Hi!

Is this Photo Wasserzoll or WSP.

Regards Morten.

Hi Morten,

The uniform is WSP but as mentioned this uniform was also initially worn by the MKP also.

Hi Morten,

Yes, I have seen such a photo.  But the MKP was not in existence at the time the battle for Narvik began.  The battle began on April 9 but the order for the formation of the MKP was not signed until 20 April. By the time troops had been assigned to the MKP and were ready to serve, the battle would be over. So the MKP soldier with a Narvik shield must have earned the shield with some other branch before serving with the MKP.

• Like 1

Hi Morten,

Yes, I have seen such a photo.  But the MKP was not in existence at the time the battle for Narvik began.  The battle began on April 9 but the order for the formation of the MKP was not signed until 20 April. By the time troops had been assigned to the MKP and were ready to serve, the battle would be over. So the MKP soldier with a Narvik shield must have earned the shield with some other branch before serving with the MKP.

Thanks for explanation.I waiting for a picture in the mail that is either  WSp/?? who have Narvik Shild.If ok i want post the photo on this thread.

All the best Morten.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.