Historical War Militaria Forum
Gustaf

M1917 Ford Ambulance

For years I looked for an original WWI Ford ambulance, a few years ago, I found out that no originals are known to exsist, so I did the next best thing and built a reproduction body on an original Ford model T chassis.

ugcaoct2012009.jpg

ugcaoct2012010.jpg

ugcaoct2012011.jpg

ugcaoct2012012.jpg

The uniform in the last photo is of a mechanic who served in Evacuation Ambulance Co. #8.

• Like 2

Most amazing, Gustaf! Please tell us more of your work! I am very interested!

Sadly that no surviving samples are known of this Ford Ambulance. Do you have a time period picture of this vehicle in the field?

P.S.

You are free to upload your pictures via our forum system. And a warm welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Wow amazing Gustaf! Please show us more when you can there will be plenty people interested, the medical section is new and not widely used as of yet (will be) so posting some of your material in the dedicated sectiond will bring much more response and attention it deserves. To upload attachments please see here: http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com/topic/3036-how-to-upload-an-attachment/

Hope to hear and see more of you Gustaf :)

• Like 1

Gustaf, this is really amazing..!..I really like this dedication, putting your collection up for display is just the right thing to do. Not always easy, but still right.

Where can the ambulance and uniforms be seen..?..

Best regards,

Hans Kristian

• Like 1

Hello Hans,

I normally set up a display at the Utah Gun Collector's Association show in Ogden, Utah every October and January, also at the Fort Douglas Military Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah every June.  Currently I have a small display at our local museum in Rupert, Idaho.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Gustav, thanks for the information, unfortunately I am not planning a visit to the US for the near future.

More pictures..?..would be nice.

Thanks again for showing.

Hans Kristian

• Like 1

This week end I did a display on gas warfare, in the US, gas mask are classified as weapons of mass distruction, and one can not import them from other countries with out a permit.

P1020514_zps93949c5d.jpg

In the first case are a British PH hood, a Russian Zalinski-Kumont gas mask and a French M2.

P1020515_zps00c4116c.jpg

In the second case are a German Gummimask, An Austrian Gummimaske, a German Ledermaske, a French ARS17, a Belgian M1918 made from a German Ledermaske, a British small box repirator and an American SBR.

P1020516_zps0ceef14e.jpg

I was unable to get the files to attach through this site, I do not know why, but the link would not resopnd.

• Like 2

I just finished building a second M1917 Ford ambulance, I have made some adjustments in the dimencions fromthe first by photographing the car at the same distance and angle as in period photos, I need to photo this car the same way and get the calipers out to do further comparisons.

P1020714_zps4e69f54b.jpg

P1020713_zps670fe920.jpg

P1020709_zps6aa5a1f9.jpg

Here is the now one compared to the old.

P1020688_zps76221b44.jpg

• Like 1

Builded a second?!  :w00t: Respect for this immense project. The result is just great, thanks for sharing this with us. Many will certainly appreciate it.

• Like 1

There were a few small errors in measurement in the first, they were corrected on the second.  The new car is as close as possible to the actual construction of the originals.  The one place where I am not satisfyed is the benches in the back, there are no good photographs of the inside of the back of the ambulance that shows the front part.

One more..????...wel, why not..?..I am completely stunned, but I love your work...and thanks for sharing.. :thumbup:  :w00t:

I just finished building a second M1917 Ford ambulance, I have made some adjustments in the dimencions fromthe first by photographing the car at the same distance and angle as in period photos, I need to photo this car the same way and get the calipers out to do further comparisons.

P1020714_zps4e69f54b.jpg

P1020713_zps670fe920.jpg

P1020709_zps6aa5a1f9.jpg

Here is the now one compared to the old.

P1020688_zps76221b44.jpg

Well, it is nice to have some things to do in the spare time.. :w00t:  :thumbsup:

Good luck with the projects, what you have achieved until now is outstanding, and I would love to see these cars..

Hans Kristian

That is impressive to say the least.

Gustaf...my endless respect and congratulations for your works and your dedication.

By chance, where is your Museum?

In any case I come to US....

My Best

Giovanni

Superb and very interesting subject Gustav, it's a pleasure to see such dedication.

Hope fully, some one will find a picture of the back of a period Ambulance, to help you with the correct benches.

I would love to see more pictures of your collection. :thumbup:

That is impressive to say the least.

Gustaf...my endless respect and congratulations for your works and your dedication.

By chance, where is your Museum?

In any case I come to US....

My Best

Giovanni

I do not have a museum, but I am on the board af directors of the Minidoka County Historical society Museum, in Rupert, Idaho, some of my collection is on display most of the time at the County Museum.  I occasionally set up displays ot the Fort Douglas Military Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.