Historical War Militaria Forum

A buy it now from the bay.  Royal artillery Territorial force officers forage cap, for a Major or Lt Colonel. The RA TF was formed from the Volunteer force in 1908 and after WWI was granted the right to wear the "normal" RA gun badge, prior to that they wore a version with laurel leaves on the upper scroll instead of the word Ubique. The maker of the cap, Hamburger, Rogers & Co. were well known military outfitters who had been in existence for many years, originally established in 1750,

1796 R. and H. Hewetson.
1814 Hamburger and Co.
1827 Hamburger, Harwood and Co.
1839 Hamburger, Rogers and Co.

then from 1841 when Rogers joined as Hamburger, Rogers & Co, Kings st, London, until they went out of business in 1917, though some sources claim Rogers joined in 1839.

They were best known for supplying swords and headgear, though originally they were renown suppliers of lace for the Royal family and for military uniforms.

The condition is not too bad, though only a fragment of the chinstrap survives and there is some moth tracking on the crown.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Jerry could by any chance show the reverse of the cap badge.

If you think this will damage the badge in any way leave put.

Nice find mate.

The badge appear to be on blades rather than lugs so it is not possible to remove it without risk of damage mate, which is a shame as I would like to see it, the form and if it is maker marked.  The same applies to the WWII version I have again on its cap and which also appears to be on blades.

The badge appear to be on blades rather than lugs so it is not possible to remove it without risk of damage mate, which is a shame as I would like to see it, the form and if it is maker marked.  The same applies to the WWII version I have again on its cap and which also appears to be on blades.

Best leave well alone ,Jerry i have a standard RA gilt officers with blades which i will post here soonest,im not sure if it is in the data base already can not remember if i have even taken a picture of it but its sure super quality.

My partner jackie has the camara at the moment so it will be at the weekend. 

Dave, if you have a loose example, it would be good to see the reverse when you can take some pics.  I have a WWII example, but again it is on the cap so not possible to see the reverse.  I just posted it in a new thread.

Jeez Jerry another fine looking cap you are with out a doubt on a role as of late .

Regards Mark

Indeed Mark, I have hit a rich vein of good caps recently, this really is a superb example and quite an uncommon example for the RA TF.  The badges turn up sometimes but the caps with badge are not often seen as far as I am aware.

And of course another with the rotating wheel.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.