Historical War Militaria Forum

Another recent addition, WWII RA officers forage cap with a stunning gilt officers badge on it.  Condition is pretty good and as far as I can ascertain the maker only made military items during the war years.

In 1840 Morris Angel, the founder of the Company, opened a second-hand clothing shop in the Seven Dials area of London (near Covent Garden) providing a service for those who wanted good quality clothes at reasonable cost. When an actor asked if he could rent a suit rather than buy it, the hire business took off. The company remains a family enterprise with the 6th generation of the Angels family working in the company.

Morris and his son Daniel moved to premises on Shaftesbury Avenue. Daniel opened a bespoke department in this new respectable environment. The quality and style of the clothes was high, and soon theatrical managers were seeking his services for their West End shows.

As the film industry was beginning, Angels began a relationship with the film industry that lasts to this day, making the costumes for the film Maid of the Mountains (1913). Our Shaftesbury Avenue location ensured that we dressed every show of distinction in the West End, including musicals Showboat, The Girl Friend, The Co-optimists, The Year of Grace, No, No Nanette, and plays such as Journey's End, and The Truth Game.
Angels quality is unsurpassed

In the late 1920s, after Madame Tussauds was destroyed by fire, Angels re-dressed all the waxworks and provided uniforms and livery for the staff. From 1940 to 1945, Angels provided dress uniforms for the Free French Army and for ENSA, the army entertainment troupe.

Angels won their first Best Costume Design Academy Award for Hamlet (1948) with Laurence Olivier.

In 1989, a fire broke out at the Shaftesbury Avenue store, but Angels continued to provide costumes as the premises were restored.

Angels acquired Bermans in 1992, moving the professional hire for film, TV and theatre to Camden. This allowed the original 119 Shaftesbury Avenue to be opened as Angels Fancy Dress; giving over almost one acre of storage space to public fancy dress hire.
A small part of our warehouse.

Angels The Costumiers moved the Film and TV Stock to a 160,000 sq.ft. purpose-built facility in Hendon in 2002. The building provides an incredible working environment, encompassing costume rental, line-up, costume making facilities, preparation areas and a suite of 15 designer offices and over 8 miles of costume rail in one room.

Angels supplied costumes and uniforms to all five films nominated for the 2008 Oscar for Best Achievement in Costume Design and four out of the five films nominated for Film Costume Design BAFTAs. Across The Universe, Atonement, Elizabeth The Golden Age*, La Vie En Rose** and Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber Of Fleet Street.

It looks to have a little bit of moth damage and the chinstrap is also damaged, but the gilt officers badge looks to be a real beauty.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Another  lovely cap Jerry a curious question on the officers guilt cap badge which I might add is a real beauty is the wheel pinned in the center and rotate on its axis on the cannon mount I know this may sound a bit of an odd question but I am thinking of a Canadian produced variation I have seen before.

Regards Mark  

Another  lovely cap Jerry a curious question on the officers guilt cap badge which I might add is a real beauty is the wheel pinned in the center and rotate on its axis on the cannon mount I know this may sound a bit of an odd question but I am thinking of a Canadian produced variation I have seen before.

Regards Mark  

Thanks Mark.

Not an odd question, the RA gun badge often has the wheel as a seperate part, allowing it in theory to rotate though often they don't move.  I have an RA badge where the wheel is missing.  Probably about 50% of the RA badges I have, have the rotating wheel.

OR's with rotating wheel

OSD with missing wheel

OSD with wheel

• Like 1

And an OR's without the rotating wheel, note only one set of spokes and no hole or pin in the center of the wheel.

And the OR's FSC it is on.

• Like 1

Thanks Jerry I feel rather daft for even asking the question now and could have researched it my self the double spoked wheel is what drew my attention to the original cap badge and as mentioned have seen this variation before .

While we are on the subject what are your thoughts to when the variation with the rotating hub first started to be produced and were they phased out late in WW II to save on materials and production time or were the variations with the static hubs just produced by a different manufacturer and or perhaps there is a difference in the OR compared to the Officers variation sorry to flood you with questions just my curiosity .

Regards Mark

As far as I am aware, it was never an official version, though obviously they were quite common.  Date wise they appear to have come into use quite soon after the introduction of the Gun badge in 1902, though I don't know when they went out of use, but certainly still in use during WWII.  The OR's example I have with a rotating wheel is undated, as of course they do not change the design from 1902 to 1953 when the QWII version is introduced, so I cannot anser with any real authority as to when or why any changes occur, but the two of the three officers versions I show are WWII in date.

• Like 1

Adding an all in one comparison image of the RA gun badges, with or without rotating wheels.  As I have more officers than OR's badges, that perhaps explains why most of them have this feature.

• Like 1

Very nice cap badges being shown here.

Enjoyable thread.

Jerry you must have a very big house.

To be fair the royal arty badge is a favorite of mine.

Very nice cap badges being shown here.

Enjoyable thread.

Jerry you must have a very big house.

To be fair the royal arty badge is a favorite of mine.

Dave, to be truthful I do have a big house.

I really like the gun badge, in fact I bought another today. 

And I remembered another I forgot to post here.  Small size for the beret on lugs and a slider.

Jerry you have a good eye my mate.

Lugged and slidered is just a nice piece, have one myself.The other one well it speaks for itself.

You busey person you. :thumbup:

What about this one Jerry to complete your set? Not sure about date but Field Officer's RA Forage cap with Staybrite and QC and a fair price. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191352110320?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trkparms=clkid%3D1014400535163724610&_qi=RTM1763582

Thanks Oli.  I am tempted as it would go nicely with my collection.

Perhaps you can help as I have another on the way to me, OR's with scarlet piping and scarlet band which the seller listed as RA, though I assume that some of the Infantry could also wear this combination.  IT has GS buttons, so could be for a Fusilier regiment for instance and not just the RA.

What about this one Jerry to complete your set? Not sure about date but Field Officer's RA Forage cap with Staybrite and QC and a fair price. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191352110320?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trkparms=clkid%3D1014400535163724610&_qi=RTM1763582

Yes jerry it would be good to go in your collection as oli states.

The cap badge looks to be Gilt to me and not staybrite.

Love to see cap badges were they belong.

If only i had the space jerry and oli i would collect.

It would fit in nicely with my RA cap collection.

WWI TF forage

WWII Forage

WWII SD

RA FS Cap

• Like 1

Nice collection of soft headgear Jerry I have got to ask about the your newest addition though why the combination of lugs and a slider this is something I have never seen before on its Canadian cousin.

Regards Mark

Not sure why Mark, it is also smaller than the normal badge being said to be for the beret.  As you can see on the one I posted, it has been bent with the lugs folded out of the way.  I have read that it was to make sure it sat squarely on the beret, and I assume it was because it is quite a large badge, even with the small version, but that strikes me as a bit odd, so I don't know the actual answer.

Thanks for the reply Jerry I found it a rather curios anomaly and as you stated quite odd on the smaller beret badge.

Regards Mark 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.