Historical War Militaria Forum
Rossi

SS Cigarette Case - Trench Art? Or Novelty Post War Piece?

Hello Collectors,

Sorry for the long message here.  Some back fill and looking for your opinions.  This is a piece my Grandfather acquired in 1984 in Germany.  He bought it from a military antique shop while traveling to see my Oma's family.  Many of my pieces we have found in Germany and also here in the US from fellow Veteran's Families and Vet Buys.  This one has always been a "Red Herring" to me.  This one is not shown in my online collection because I just wrestle with the authenticity factor.  Bugs me.

I have had it looked at by many people in the past 30+ years.  Fellow Collectors, Max Dealers & History Buffs.  I get about 50%  Fake and 50% Real Response.  It is a pretty old piece and has hand engraving on it versus a rotary engraver.  I did find a H. Kluge / SS soldier when we looked up last names and he was in the service as an SS man but I can't track him further to the Panzer Unit or get any more detail.  The other thing that concerns me is this Panzer Unit was well documented and in the thick of things.

I know cigarette period cases like this were made during war.  I also know a few Russian pieces surfaced years ago.  I know usually Alpaca was a maker.  This one has no maker.  It does have an eagle / swastika and a Ges Gesch stamp on inside cover.  I have never seen a case with an RZM circle and no maker number nor an WaA195 code which is what has always had me suspect.  That waffenamt is popular from 1938 to 1944 but most of the factories were dealing in leather holsters, fieldgear, etc...and not metal.  The SS medallion is old and is not recent.  Looks like it was hand applied and has aged patina around it from the brass.  Face has some wear & nicks to it.  Tried to track the brass emblem as well.

So men...Your opinion?  Is this trench art?...Or...A nice novelty piece my Opa picked up. ???  :thumbdown:   :thumbsup: ???  Regardless it is a nice salty piece from my Grandfather but I am totally stumped and unsure of any value and authenticity.  Thanks in advance as you weigh in!  Rossi

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Check out my Entire WWII German Militaria Collection at this link:  http://tothehiltmilitaria.com/collection

Hi Rossi,

What you show us here is an original period piece, from I think the thirties.

Original Cigarette Case, but never a period SS one.

SS shield and inscription, are post war added, and the RZM circle and WaA195 code are really overdone / over the top and even laughable.

Excuse me for the bad news I brought to your cigarette case.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

This is where knowledge comes in ,everyone to there own.

Shame its not original Rossi.

Still nice to use though.

• Like 1

Its nice to know that there are other collectors on here who can let you know what you have.

Cheers  eric i would have not known mate not my field really. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks Eric...Per my email thus why it is not shown on my site.  Was in agreement with everything you said.  I remember Grandpa telling me he bought for $20.00 US so I think he knew all along it was not the real deal.  Still a piece of collecting history and a memory from Grandpa.

Cheers!

Rossi

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.