Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jerry B

Maori Pioneer Battalion WWI

13 posts in this topic

Using the sellers pics until it arrive.

Two versions of this cap badge were issued during WWI, the first -as shown- was made by J.R.Gaunt London in gilded brass on two e&w lugs.  A later version of much the same desing was made by Firmin, whicvh unlike the Gaunt version is not maker marked.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1 person likes this

New Zealand Pioneer Battalion Badge
In 1914 Two Maori Companies were formed, A Company from North Auckland, West Coast North Island and South Island; B Company from the Centre and East Coast of the North Island. They left New Zealand called the Maori Contingent, though their formal name was the New Zealand Native Contingent, in February 1915 and took part in the Gallipoli Campaign from July 1915.
After Gallipoli the Contingent was split up for a brief period with the men being posted to Territorial units but this was found to be unacceptable and the Unit was reformed as the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion on 20 February 1916 and served in France. Initially the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion had two Maori Companies but from September 1917 became an all-Maori unit and was renamed as the New Zealand (Maori) Pioneer Battalion. The battalion was finally disbanded in March 1919.

The New Zealand (Maori) Pioneer Battalion or Native Contingent and Pioneer Battalion was a battalion of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force that served during World War I. The battalion was first raised in 1915 and served at Gallipoli and the Western Front and largely served as pioneers.  "Of these by the end of the war, 2227 Maori and 458 Pacific Islanders had served in what became known as the Maori Pioneer Battalion. Of these, 336 died on active service and 734 were wounded. Other Maori enlisted (and died) in other battalions as well."

Hi jerry do not know anything about NZ or canadian badges but thanks for posting.

Look forward to learning lots off you jerry :thumbsup:

Hi jerry do not know anything about NZ or canadian badges but thanks for posting.

Look forward to learning lots off you jerry :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave.  This is a rare badge and I was very pleased to get it as at one time I bought a fake, which always bugged me.

By one of thse strange quirks of fate I also managed to buy a single matching coller by Gaunt to go with it.

Again the sellers pics until it arrives.

1 person likes this

the new pics, just perfect. :smile:

That sure has exquisite detail jerry.

Looks better than the dealers pictures.

I can see the Es are perfect now.

Plack not to neat which is very good.

Well done mate on a mighty fine badge.

1 person likes this

Hi Dave,

It often surprises me how poor the pictures are on sites that sell British and Commonwealth badges, it is a wonder they get any customers.

Another picture of it along with the matching collar also by Gaunt.

Very nice jerry

Are you looking for another collar or would you prefere a matching pair ?

Very nice jerry

Are you looking for another collar or would you prefere a matching pair ?

Either and both.  A matching Gaunt would be great to get, but if I could find any of the Firmin versions, cand and collars I would grab them if they were not too expensive, though at the moment I am a bit spent out.

On 11/10/2014 at 0:39 PM, Jerry B said:

Either and both.  A matching Gaunt would be great to get, but if I could find any of the Firmin versions, cand and collars I would grab them if they were not too expensive, though at the moment I am a bit spent out.

Well, I managed to get a Firmin collar to make a near pair of collars.  

The Firmin badges were made late in the war and have a diffeence in the die that on a Gaunt would make them a fake, that being the necklace which is not fretted.  Also this Firmin collar has the not very often seen blade fixings more typical of OSD cap badges.  I was lucky to pick this up local to em for  avery cheap price.

2 people like this

On 07/10/2014 at 1:58 PM, Jerry B said:

Hi Dave,

It often surprises me how poor the pictures are on sites that sell British and Commonwealth badges, it is a wonder they get any customers.

An old post, but still relevant and so very, very true! And then, the likes of a certain 'prestigious' auction house in Bucks that never (catalogue or online) shows the reverse of their badge offerings - why??? It's beyond me.

Anyway, it's not too often you see Firmin tablets when compared to the Gaunt examples; nor with blades for that matter. A cracking collar, Jerry.

Best,

Marcus 

1 person likes this

Thanks Marcus.  

Any of these Maori pioneer badges are pretty scarce but this latest Firmin collar so far seems to be very uncommon.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0