Historical War Militaria Forum

Another photo of the HK THOR,with camo.

This one taken while she was docked for refitting at Kiel in January 1942.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Schiff 5,HK HANSA.

These pictures were taken during her conversion to a HK in Rotterdam.

Commanded by Horst Gerlach and manned by a vast majority of the former STIER crew,she never sailed as a HK.

• Like 1

A great but very sad story.So sorry to hear about the loss of your great uncle.

Thanks for the input and adding a personal insight to the thread.

The photo came from a small grouping from an ORION crewman,which included a photo of himself and a couple of more pic's of the ORION.

Wow,what a small world.

Many thanks,Martin.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for starting this fine thread and for showing us your interesting photos.

Sorry to say that I don't have any photos of those ships to show in this thread.

The younger brother Dirk of my grandmother served on the original Beemsterdijk of the H.A.L. Holland-Amerika-Lijn.

During the outbreak of the war the ship was at sea, and continued serving for the Dutch government in exile.

On 26.1.1941 the Beemsterdijk runs in the Bristol Channel on a British mine, most men, including Dirk Flier died that day.

Dirk has never seen his in 1940 born son.

While the Beemsterdijk went down on 26.1.1941 Dirk's wages paid to his wife in Dutch Guldens went on till 9.8.1941, after that date she did no longer have an income.

Martin, excuse me for hijacking your thread, but when I noticed your photo of Schiff 36, HK Orion disguised as the Dutch freighter "Beemsterdijk", the old family history did come up again.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

attachicon.gifBeemsterdijk 001.jpg

PS.

I once did have a couple of photos of the Orion disguised as the "Beemsterdijk", I showed them to the youngest brother of my grandmother, Hendrik Flier who was also at sea during the outbreak of the war, he served the entire war on Dutch merchant ships in convoy shipping.

He looked at the photos and said "that is the ship my brother went down with" - I said to him no it isn't the Beemsterdijk.

He did look again at the photos, the entire construction of the vessel, the multi-colored in Holland-Amerika-Lijn marking single-funnel.....and said again that it was the Beemsterdijk.

So that showed that the disguise was effective enough......even for a man who did know that ship from the old days.

Dear EJ, thanks for sharing some of your precious family history, it's a valuable addition to this excellent thread. Thanks, Martin creating this interesting Hilfskreuzer thread.

Another shot of the HK THOR.

The writing on the reverse of this photo reads,"Antarktis 1942".

This photo came from the collection of Kriegsberichter HeinzTischer who served on the 2nd cruise of the Thor.

• Like 2

Martin and Wolfgang.

Gentlemen, thank your showing us some very nice photos again.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hello,

a rare photo of the auxiliary raider Adjutant.

"Built as the Norwegian whaler Pol IX, she was captured on 14 January 1941 by the auxiliary cruiser Pinguin.

She was renamed Adjutant and used as a commerce raider. Captained by Adjutant Hemmer and used as a scout.

She then was used as a minelayer in the South Atlantic and Indian Ocean. She was scuttled on 1 July 1941 by the

German auxiliary cruiser Komet after suffering engine trouble off Chatham Islands" (source wikipedia).

Best regards,

Wolfgang

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.