Historical War Militaria Forum
StGeorge64

Luftwaffe Autobiographies

Thank you guys!

I had asked Mr. Spoden if I could get a signed photo of him and was pleasantly surprised when I received this signed copy of his book and a few photos.

Luke

• Like 1

Hi Luke,

What a great gesture from Mr. Spoden.

Respect.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

'A Luftwaffe Bomber Pilot Remembers.  World War 2 from the cockpit' - Klaus Häberlen

Publisher: SCHIFFER PUBLISHING LTD (3 April 2013)

ISBN-10: 0764313932 ISBN-13: 978-0764313936

I had forgotten about this book however, it is certainly worthy of inclusion in this thread.  The author was awarded the Knights Cross was serving as Gruppenkommandeur I./ Kampfgeschwader 51 and his book tells his story in a manner which has drawn criticism from several quarters.  The book does not follow a diary/chronological format throughout and I felt a lot of political correctness had been woven into his words.  What I did find interesting was the description of post-war Germany, although I would of liked to of read more first hand anecdotal evidence from his combat experience as a bomber pilot (in line with the title of the book)  That said, for it's faults, this book is worth reading and does contain some high quality images from his personal photo albums.

Regards Richard.

Find on: Amazon (US) - Amazon (UK) - Amazon (DE)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

'Stuka Pilot' - Hans Ulrich Rudel

Publisher: Black House Publishing Ltd; Original edition (4 May 2012)

ISBN-10: 1908476877 ISBN-13: 978-1908476876

I am surprised that this book has yet to be mentioned on this thread so far.  'Stuka Pilot' by Hans Ulrich Rudel, the most decorated Wehrmacht serviceman and instantly recognizable to any Luftwaffe enthusiast, has been translated into several languages and sold well across the world.  That said, I found the book to be lacking in detail in many areas, and very one-sided (probably not surprising) as to the bigger picture of the conflict.  Large portions of the book read like a boys own adventure tale and are quite predictable however, this may of been down to the original translation.  Certainly not in the same league as the Mahlke book it has to be said.

Still worth a read though and until the recent autobiography from Mahlke, Stuka aircrew have been a scarce addition to the bookshelves.  The details provided at the top are for the 2012 edition however, second hand paperback copies can be found for a pittance if you look deep enough.

• Like 2

This is  a  great  thread. I  have  a  copy of  Rudel`s book  and  I  too  found it  disappointing and lacking  detail.

I  have  a  beautiful limited addition pencil  portait of  Rudel  and  a  similar limited  run  print of  his  Stuka.  Always  found  him  a  fascinating  character and  an  amazing pilot

Jim

• Like 1

'The Happy Falcon: An Autobiography by the Father of the Night Fighters' - Wolfgang Falck 

Publisher: Eagle Editions (30 Jun. 2003)

ISBN-10: 0972106014 ISBN-13: 978-0972106016

An excellent book which, long out of print is becoming quite expensive even in the second-hand market.  Falck certainly had an eventful career and his honesty in opinion and personal integrity in writing of how the Luftwaffe was being run makes fascinating reading.  The sections as a Nachjager are excellent reading, and the photographic content covering over 250 photos from his personal albums is stunning.  The book also covers his immediate post-war period and also some high quality aircraft profile drawings.  Highly recommended.

Regards Richard.

• Like 1

'Spitfire on My Tail: A View from the Other Side' - Ulrich Steinhilper

Publisher: Independent Books; 7th Revised edition edition (1 April 2009)

ISBN-10: 1872836798  ISBN-13: 978-1872836799

I had forgotten about this book until coming accross a pencil print signed by Steinhilper the other day.  I really enjoyed this book from start to finish.  The author goes into interesting detail of life in the Weimer period, and his sense of injustice at how Germany had been treated after WWI is not lost in his words.  His descriptions of his Jagdfliger training was anything but the thorough, professional and rigourous regime wich many have described, and is facinating to read.  Steinhilper was by his own admission desperate to fight the British, and with Jagdgeschwader 52 he had his wish before being shot down and taken prisoner.  A recommended read by a Luftwaffe Jagdflieger who was certainly not afraid to be critical of both his own, and his opposing air force.

Regards Richard.

• Like 1