Historical War Militaria Forum

Last items of 2014

Bought on 16.12.2014

Stamp dated : 21.12.1964.

(so fifty years after Rogge did sent out that card, it did go into my collection, at the age of fifty)

A nicely signed Rogge signature, just as I like it.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Eric JB:

Hello my friend! Nice additions to your collection, thank you for sharing your last purchases of 2014 with the Forum.

Best regards,

John

Excellent finds E-J.

Great postwar material signed by Rogge.

Thanks for sharing these mate,really nice to see.

Here is a period piece i have on an artwork postcard,while we are the subject of Rogge.

I have a few of his signatures on various paper items.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 2

Martin:

Hello! Fantastic signed PC of Rogge, thank you for sharing it with the Forum. I really like it.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

Hearty greetings from Kabul, Afghanistan to my Hilfskreuzer friends John, Martin and Eric-Jan!

Eric-Jan:  These are two sweet Rogge signatures.

The first one with the large, completely recognizable capital "R" is far less commonly seen.  This, of course, is because it is from a fresh start of his last name instead of the sweeping arcing connection to his first name.  I have upwards of 65+ Rogge signatures and this is only the third example like this I have seen.

Signature two is a perfect example of a Rogge 1960s-1970s signature.

Congratulations my friend.  These are nice additions to your fine collection.

Joe

• Like 2

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I did think myself that the signature with the large R was somehow different (see mentioning it in post # 1) from the ones that I had seen before, but I didn't know that it was that rare as mentioned by you in this thread.

Although I usually drew the attention of others on a Rogge signature by email, I thought it was time to have one myself of the man in my collection.

Pretty complete sets, best wishes, signatures and the envelopes.

I got the chance to bid on these two and finally I was the winner.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Martin my friend,

That is a great photo with a very personal Rogge touch you are showing us.

"My immediate Ia Korvettenkapitän Martin Borchert in appreciation and heartfelt gratitude
Bernhard Rogge
Konteradmiral  and Chief of education of the Marine"

At that time Rogge was Inspekteur des Bildungswesens der Marine, and Borchert served in his Stab as Referat für aktiven Offiziersnachwuchs (Ia)

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

My favorite of all of the Rogge signatures that i have.

This is on the inside cover on a copy of the book "Die Kregsfahrt des Hilfskreuzers Atlantis".The book belonged to Erich Kuhn who was the 1st Officer on the Atlantis and has this written dedication by Rogge to his number 1.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 1

Martin,

I can clearly understand why that one is your favorite.

A great piece of Atlantis history you are showing us.

Fantastic !

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hi! I'm new to all this and hope you can all help me with some info. I bought a book, Schiff 16, copyright 1955, at a thrift shop a few days ago. It looked interesting and had some notes, signatures, and a Christmas card and photo taped in the front. In the very front is the Christmas card with a drawing of a carol book open to "Stille Nacht". Underneath it is a note that translated (Google translate) to "And peace on Earth, Erich Kuhn, 1st Officer Atlantis, Christmas Eve 1961." Further down the page, in different ink, is "Berhnhard Rogge" and underneath that, in Kuhn's ink and handwriting, is "Kommandant". The next page has a b&w photo taped on it of a group of men at some sort of dinner, some in uniforms with medals. It has a 1961 date on the back and some writing in German that I can't figure out.  I have read some about Rogge and the Atlantis the past few days and am fascinated! Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!  

Sally 

• Like 2

Sally who, no its Dally, yep Duhhhh, no Do, hmmmmmm ?

First of all, a warm welcome on the Historical War Militaria Forum.
I do hope that you will enjoy to stay around here with us.

Congratulations with your book.
I do like the Christmas card page with the personal note by Rogge and the photo very much.

Your translation is correct.
und Frieden auf Erden !
Erich Kühn
I.O. der "Atlantis"
Weihnachten 1961
A nice crisp and clear signature of Bernhard Rogge

1961 Kiel
? bei seiner Ansprache
"Atlantis" Treffen

1961 Kiel
? during his speech
"Atlantis" meeting

Thank you for showing us your book on our forum.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

Thank you SO MUCH! It's opened up a new avenue of history exploration for me. :) Safe to say this was a good investment of $2 !  How on earth did this end up in a Goodwill in South Carolina?!? 

• Like 1

Whoops, hit Submit too soon - I am learning a little more about the Atlantis, Rogge, and Kuhn. What got you started collecting items related to them - what was the inspiration? From what little I have researched so far, although Rogge was a German officer, and we know of the Nazi atrocities, it seems he was one of a scant handful who was actually so - well, nice. More of serving the land he loved but not the Nazis. Quite unlike the terrible mainstream WWII history most of the public knows. Then again, I'm always looking for that little flicker of light and hope in the dark.

Thank you again for the translation and feedback. I'm checking all of our Goodwills today, just in case!

Happy Holidays and Frieden auf Erden!

Sally

Wow!  It is absolutely amazing the finds that appear from the most unlikely of places!

Sally, you have a very desirable and historic copy of Schiff 16.

The book's dedication and the addition of a Rogge additional signature are great.  

This is a fantastic example of Rogge's signature (in ball point pen?) for that time period.  (for me, most signatures from the middle/late 1960s and beyond seem rushed and appear somewhat less "elegant" than earlier ones; not this one!  He clearly took his time and provided a wonderful signature.)  

Given the fact he signed the Schiff 16 book, it would have been a nice touch if he added the traditional "Vizeadmiral a.D & Kommandant" too, but given who he was signing the book for...perhaps not needed!  

Sally, again, great find!  Congratulations!

Joe

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.