Historical War Militaria Forum
Ocad

Home Guard helmets - shell colour

I have been reading the forums and searching for images about Home Guard helmets and from what I can gather nearly all were painted olive green, over their factory grey Mk II 2variant. Was this just the outer shell or did it depend on the unit, time of issue, manufacturer?

I ask as I have seen a 2B mild steel variant with grey dome and and sand textured shell. The helmet's condition and paint wear tallies to me.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this?

Oli

Hi Oli, All the HG Mk2 No.2 helmets I have, have been painted in the standard way at the time for the Mk2 No.1, khaki green textured paint outside & smooth inside. This was for helmets 1940 -41, then sometime in 41 textured inside as well.

At present I haven't seen one painted inside grey or black as per No.2's, then painted textured outside. That's not to say this didn't happen, it could easily have been the case. I have an No.1 painted black inside but has been painted sand textured outside, but not at factory level.

I also have an private purchase steel Mk2 with a flash of the 3rd Middlesex HG.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

I have been reading the forums and searching for images about Home Guard helmets and from what I can gather nearly all were painted olive green, over their factory grey Mk II 2variant. Was this just the outer shell or did it depend on the unit, time of issue, manufacturer?

I ask as I have seen a 2B mild steel variant with grey dome and and sand textured shell. The helmet's condition and paint wear tallies to me.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this?

Oli

Some pics would help Oli.

My HG example.

• Like 1

That's one cool net on that helmet, they are very hard to find, very intricate in their design.

It's the same type as the one above.

I guess that's why the knotted type replaced them, stronger & easier to make.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies. Some fantastic looking helmets and great to compare. It seems the use of helmet nets was quite common for the home guard from looking at period photos.

Oli

As I expect you know the No.2 B,C, & D's were factory painted grey, as can be seen on the inside of the shell.

Without seeing the outside I guess painted the same colour as on the inside rim, & this is textured you say.

Could well have been used by the home guard as in 1940 there was a shortage of helmets, until July 1941 when their initial allotment of helmets was met.

700,000 No.2's & 1,000,000 No.1's.

So they might have improvised at unit level & painted it themselves.

As I expect you know the No.2 B,C, & D's were factory painted grey, as can be seen on the inside of the shell.

Without seeing the outside I guess painted the same colour as on the inside rim, & this is textured you say.

Could well have been used by the home guard as in 1940 there was a shortage of helmets, until July 1941 when their initial allotment of helmets was met.

700,000 No.2's & 1,000,000 No.1's.

So they might have improvised at unit level & painted it themselves.

Hello TinLid talking about factory painted Grey.

Do you mean the one like this.

I always thought that my grey helmet was home front ?

Please update me .

The first helmets issued for use on the home front for the ARP & others would have been khaki green smooth paint inside & out. (like yours)

But the colours do vary, at first glance the outside of yours looks like post war Dutch civil defence, but when you see the inside, yes it's khaki green.Lighting, flash, plus where the helmet has been for the last 70+years all make a difference.

From sometime in 1939 ARP helmets & home front use helmets were painted black, so if you look inside some early home front helmets they will still have the factory khaki green, but would have been over painted black as per the directive in 1939.

If you are lucky you will find a helmet still in it's factory khaki green, & never been painted black.

The warden & ambulance are still in the early smooth khaki green, while the E was, but  then  over painted black.

• Like 1

Superb TinLid just Superb.

Thank you for updating me.

You have a trained eye and yes you are correct on my helmets colour.It was the flash so sorry for that.

Im only used to taking cap badge pics.

Cheers

Dave

Thought I'd throw this into the mix as well, standard home front helmet made by F&L dated 1939, painted black inside & out.

But has been repainted outside sand textured paint, pretty sure for a factory home guard unit, or just due to shortage of helmets for the home guard in general.

Clearly visible is the ghosting of the early war woven net on the paint, been on there a long time.

• Like 2

More

Very nice indeed TinLid.

By 1941 home front helmets were factory black.

I take it that originally that was an early factory black helmet if i am correct.

That net is a killer.

TinLid you have some nice helmets.

Just like marks collection.

Superb.

On the yahoo forum someone posted a video of the SA helmet production, sparking an interesting discussion. I didn't know South Africa supplied ARP and NFS helmets to Britain.

Yes, I knew about that, I used to have a picture of one, pretty sure it had an NFS decal on the front. But it was a few years ago.

Love that video, great to see how the paint was applied & that really rare net put on.

The lining is marked 1941 C. G & S. although the shell stamping is too light to see under the applied khaki paint. The shell colour seems consistant with the overall condition so it doesn't appear tampered with. Would this date it to early or pre 1941, considering the grey overpaint and liner date?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.