Historical War Militaria Forum
ducrotpeeps

Reichleiter Max Amann Grosskreuz Des Italienischen Kronenordens

Reichs leader Grand Cross Award given by Hitler to his longtime freind and former boss from WWI Max Amann.

it was originally obtained by my grandfather, Major General Robert Alexis McClure when he was on General Eisenhower's SHAEF Staff during WWII. It has been in my father's possession (Colonel Robert Dugald McClure, USMA Class of June '43) since he inherited it following his father's passing, and it is still in my families possession. He told me the reason his father was presented and given it by the SHAEF Staff  as a war trophy following the war was because Max Amann was MG R.A. McClure's enemy counterpart on Hitler's Staff.  You may want to research both officers. Max Amann was Hitler's Chief of Media and worked closely with Goebbels in the area of media propaganda. You will also find MG. R.A. McClure's significant contributions as Eisenhower's Staff as Director of the Office of  Information Control, founder of the US Army 1st Psychological Warfare Division (and in charge of allied media progaganda), and Chief of US/Allied Intelligence (Office of Strategic Services (OSS) later to become the CIA). He has been memorialized as the Founding Father of Army Special Warfare and his accomplishements recognized by both the US Special Operations Command and US Army Special Operations Commands.
A brief bio on Max Amann is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Amann
and it is interesting to note he is the one responsible for recommending to Hitler to change the name of his book to Mein Kampf while both were imprisoned together.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi there,

Thanks for posting this item. :thumbup:

The Order of the Crown was an Italian Decoration and therefore awarded by Italy and not Hitler. I think this could be the "permission" given by Hitler to Amann so that he would be allowed to wear the decoration.

What does the front cover look like?

Best

Pierce

Pierce is correct regarding the awarding of the decoration. A super piece of history to one of the Hitlers inner circle.

Per your request I added a picture of the front cover. Also added the actual medals (my samsung phone camera - not the best).

• Like 2

Thank you for the additional photos. This really is an impressive piece.

I do not think the medals belong to the award certificate though. According to the certificate, Axmann was awarded the Grand Cross- you show the Grand Officer set (next grade down).

Kind regards

Pierce

Pierce - I must say the medals  are exactly the same ones as illustrated in the award certificate. They were in the inherited box of General McClure's medals so I feel confident they are the originals to the award and not the some other Grand Officer set you propose. Can you post pictures of both for comparison? I think that would be most helpful to all.

My Regards

Hi,

I cannot comment on the history of your items but I can give some input to what I see posted. If you just compare your photo of the medals with your profile picture- you should see the difference. Your profile photo shows the Grand Cross (large breast star with sash) whereas the Orders you post are the Grand Officer set (a neck order and breast star). I hope this is useful to you.

Best regards

Pierce

• Like 1

Here are the two grades for comparison. The Grand Officer set is on the left, Grand Cross on the right. They are two very distinctly different looking breast stars of the same Order.

Best

Pierce

• Like 1

This is most helpful and exactly the type of expert information I had hopped when joining. I am most grateful.

How grandfather McClure obtained the set I am not sure other than reference is made to them in my grandmothers scrapbook when presented to him. Since the certificate mentions the Grand Cross, and his boxes of medals have several others I will continue search to see if it is also to be found.

If I might be so bold as to ask:

Can you help identify another medal set? I can find no reference to it or how or when he obtained it - I can only assume he was awarded it at some point.

I was able to find the set on the left is the Iranian Grand Cross Order of Homayoun; the center set is the Iranian Order of the Taj (Crown); but the third set on the right is unknown. Any information you can provide would be most helpful.

Again my thanks for your expert assistance.

• Like 1

You are most welcome. I am glad you found the information to be of use.

A lovely group of Orders shown here. The third set is the Tunisian Order of Nichan Iftikhar.

Best regards

Pierce

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.