Historical War Militaria Forum
PeterPaul

23rd Field Regiment(SP)Royal Canadian Artillery

Here is a Picture I have in my modest Collection it shows a bunch of Young men at Petawawa artillery training grounds in Canada.

It is clearly summer time and there is no exact date on the foto but it says "83.batt." on it, one of 3 batterys of the 23rd RA of Canada.

This unit came to life in april of 1942 ,later it was shipped to England and 7 weeks after D-Day the 23rd was shipped across the channel to France.

From the 26 july 1944 and untill WE day 1945 the Canadians fought through France, Belgium, Netherlands and finally into Germany..

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The 23rd was only at Petawawa from may to july 1942, I speculate if the Picture is taken at this time .. But did the replacement units not train at Petawawa too ?? So perhaps it is replacement for the 23rd ?? 

Dont know but a nice Picture...They were putties and sommer uniforms I think .. :) 

With the putties and flat Sd caps they almost look WWI?  I think they are in shirt order rather than summer uniform, though the detail of the image is not big enough for me to have better look at it.

Looking at the hats and the leggings i'm inclined to think that this is also a WWI or post WWI photo.Maybe 20's or early 30's perhaps ?

Hard to say.

Regards,Martin.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.