Historical War Militaria Forum

This is the entrance that Rommel was trying to reach for shelter/cover from the attacking aircraft.

This is the gate keeper lodge to Usine Laniel. The Horch was out of control by this point, and would have already been careering across the road to its final crash position. Rommel is reported to have been thrown from the car, and was laying unconscious in the road.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

With severe injuries, Rommel's driver Daniel was unable to control the Horch as it careered out of control across the road at high speed, before smashing into this ditch...

In an attempt to find the location of the Panzerkorps HQ in Urville, we have a feeling that these 2 buildings are strong possibilities.

Further research is needed...

I have somewhere a picture of an SS unit photo on a similar set of stairs to the building on the left.  I wll try and find the picture.

I have somewhere a picture of an SS unit photo on a similar set of stairs to the building on the left.  I wll try and find the picture.

Hi Richard

That would be really interesting to compare.

Thank you for taking the time to post. If you can find the picture it would be appreciated.

Mate,

I can't find it on WRF, I know I posted it there but since being banned I can only search threads I started realisticly.  I may have posted it in someone elses thread in which case I have no chance of finding it.  Maybe it is on GMIC I wil have a look there.  I am sure I found it recently somewhere unexpected,doh!

For anybody interested in the project status, well it's at an exciting stage.

The Rommel story is steeped in historical significance. Over the years I have read about, researched, and visited most areas and locations that Rommel himself visited in Normandy in 1944.

I had an extensive database, so I collated a 'Rommel' file, keeping every book, file, report, photograph, and article on the topic. This research has now been commissioned by a French Publishing House for further research into the events of 17 July 1944. This project will be a continuation of the 'Quest for a Panzer' project, which has also been commissioned. There is a 3rd element to the project, and there are a few mentions of it throughout the thread, but for now that will have to wait.

The Panzer in the river, is still in the river... Frustrating though it is, it is proving to be a more than stubborn opponent...!!!

Early next year is the earliest any more will happen with this. It will make a great story when it happens.

I can post further on the Rommel story. There is so much information out there, but little with detailed FACTUAL account... There are claims and counter claims between multiple Allied pilots claiming responsibility for the attack. Eye witness accounts and German reports, along with Allied reports, RAF files, Pilot Log Books, Interviews, diaries, and articles along with books and memoirs from Senior German General level staff have all been collated for further research.

I will follow on with just a part of this story. The attack and crash location...

This is an old photo of Alain Roudeix. It is a well published photograph of an interesting individual at the Rommel crash site. I have some very interesting information about Roudeix...

This is the same area today. The blue sign on the right is where the bridge crosses the stream. Roudeix would have stood about 10ft past the blue sign.

Just imagine the scene. Rommel's car screaming down the hill, chased by Allied aircraft spitting 20mm cannon shells at the Horch. The hit, carnage as the car careers across the road, out of control...

Alain Roudeix is a very well known name in the military collecting field. He was tasked with clearing 'war junk' (as he called it) from around the Falaise area. He was responsible for retrieving the 'Vimoutiers Tiger' from its abandoned position in a ditch, close to its position today.

He also witnessed many battles around his home town, as we all know what happened at Falaise.

He is reported to have witnessed the Rommel crash in July 1944.

I am researching possible links between Roudeix and the Frence Resistance.

A very interesting individual.

Below is a well published picture, of Roudeix with Lang in a 1970 visit to the crash location. I am standing roughly where Roudeix stood.

I once read details of an interview with Alain Roudeix from years ago. He mentions the day of the Rommel attack, and states what he saw and did at the location.

This is well published. Quite an interesting insight to the day's events.

I have my own opinions on who I think is the pilot who shot Rommel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sonderbefehls said:

Very, very interesting, I wonder what happened to the Horch car?

In one of the BAU reports it stated that the Horch had been wrecked and looted...

I have the wheel nuts, 2 wheel rims and engine ID plate in my bunker....

Here's an interesting French newspaper article relating to 17 July and the Rommel accident. It reads something like,

The Germans come to admit, for the first time that the Marshal Rommel was wounded. The German official agency announce that he had a car accident following an attack by Allied aircraft on July 17. The Marshal (Rommel) has received injuries, but his life is not in danger. Remember/Recall that the noise/story had run Rommel died due to injuries.

Unfortunately I don't know when in 1944 this article was published. It would be interesting to know the time scale involved before the Germans admitted Rommel's accident...

• Like 1

It would have been roughly this position that Rommel's staff car (Horch) would have been hit, before careering out of control, at high speed, zig zagging across the road before smashing into the ditch.

I imagined how that would have felt for the occupants of the car, as along that stretch of road there is very little cover to hide from an attacking aircraft. They were unfortunate not to make the gatehouse in time...

As you can see from this aerial photograph there was very little cover for Rommel's driver Daniel to reach in time. There was no way that they could have outrun a Spitfire on a strafing attack....

Hi Dave,

This is such an interesting thread, a real pleasure to continue to follow it.

Thank you for all your work Dave, a job well done.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

On 13 October 2016 at 4:43 PM, Eric JB said:

Hi Dave,

This is such an interesting thread, a real pleasure to continue to follow it.

Thank you for all your work Dave, a job well done.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hi Eric-Jan

Im glad that you are enjoying the adventure.

I have been very lucky to be involved with this historical journey.

There is more to come. The Rommel story is really interesting. On the last visit I was lucky enough to spend 2 days exploring La Roche Guyon, and have some excellent research to share...

David

On 28 September 2016 at 11:18 PM, ReichFeldpost said:

Here's an interesting French newspaper article relating to 17 July and the Rommel accident. It reads something like,

The Germans come to admit, for the first time that the Marshal Rommel was wounded. The German official agency announce that he had a car accident following an attack by Allied aircraft on July 17. The Marshal (Rommel) has received injuries, but his life is not in danger. Remember/Recall that the noise/story had run Rommel died due to injuries.

Unfortunately I don't know when in 1944 this article was published. It would be interesting to know the time scale involved before the Germans admitted Rommel's accident...

Just to back track for a moment to the above article. I haven't been able to find the date of publication, however I have located a copy of an intercepted Enigma message by Ultra at Bletchley Park which is from Berlin to all German Military Attaché personnel dated 27 July 1944, ten days after Rommel's accident.

The message reads,

'If there are any enquiries about the disappearance of Field Marshal Rommel, you are to reply that the Field Marshal has had a car accident. He is already on the road to recovery'.

This is proof that a timescale of 10 days had elapsed before the German High Command issued a directive on the Rommel situation.

I believe the newspaper article would have been published after 27 July 1944.

What is really interesting is that the date of the Enigma message would have been 7 days after the assassination attempt on the Fuhrer's life.