Historical War Militaria Forum
Jim W.

Is it just me?

Sad to say IMO many of the well-heeled long time collectors don't care if the little guys or newcomers get stuck with fakes by the big name dealers, as long as they get their fix of items they know are real. Thus they discourage criticism of the big boys, saying that if you buy a fake it's your fault, you didn't do your homework, etc.

• Like 2

I did not join WAF specifically for this reason.  I read a WAF post on the Pour le Mérite that turned very ugly.

One person had a piece that, upon first look, appeared to be a genuine issue piece and very promising.  Then another member (I suspect a self-appointed expert) cast suspicion upon the piece and all of a sudden others jumped in to berate the person for purchasing something that might not be legitimate.  I don't think it was ever established whether or not the piece was legitimate as it turned into a backbiting fest instead.

• Like 2

I totally agree with Larry's post above.........most of the sections are clique based with participants knowing each other personally, which can and does breed an air of contempt for anyone trying to join in discussions/debates that is not known to those "regulars", an unfriendly bunch unfortunately....  I do not post and rarely visit the Bundeswehr section, and the Imperial section, well ! they never, I repeat never answer any newbie questions !........the exception being the 57er sub section on WAF which is a breath of fresh air,  friendly to both old and new members alike, I CAN ONLY HEAP PRAISE on the moderator of that section and I count most if not all participants as personal friends and that includes those who infrequently visit....however in February I will not be renewing/paying my $25 dues......I guess in a way it has become too big for its boots....lets hope it does not happen over here.

Prost ! Steve.  

• Like 1

Eric-Jan  Since I was only able to bear just a few pages about the uniform and conclude this.  Many in thread actually need psychiatric help and or leave the hobby as it is clear to me that most if not all of them seem like they are not having any fun.  Those such people would do best to find something else to occupy their time.  IMHO

And Happy New Year to all.

I look at it this way..

If you see some thing that catches your eye for some reason and you buy it... do you you really need the "Third Degree" to tell you it's not genuine?

I have bought/traded stuff, because I actually like it (the item I want)...

Things like Medals and Uniforms, Daggers and Helmet can go for huge amounts of money.

If it's for sale and supposed to be "original", then that's a different matter.

I've bought lighters, Cigarette holders etc., because I liked them, purely and simply for the fun element.

The fun part of collecting is what a item/piece means to the person collecting it. Like my U-Boat binoculars. All six of them.

If you post some thing and you get lots of replies that's great.

What you don't need is being told your item is fake or not up to the repliers standard/opinion.

Every body has a opinion, and 99% of the time, the replies are most welcome and fun.

The other site is the last place to post, it's sad that they don't understand collecting is not political.

My Christmas Fuhrer always makes me laugh, I don't need people telling me what Hitler did..

I just ask my Grandfather, who was a Warden during the Liverpool Blitz, May, 1941.

There's some really great stuff on this site, and long may it continue.

PS. Have a great 2016, it's here!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Eric-Jan  Since I was only able to bear just a few pages about the uniform and conclude this.  Many in thread actually need psychiatric help and or leave the hobby as it is clear to me that most if not all of them seem like they are not having any fun.  Those such people would do best to find something else to occupy their time.  IMHO

And Happy New Year to all.

Cathy or Rob ?

"Many in thread actually need psychiatric help and or leave the hobby as it is clear to me that most if not all of them seem like they are not having any fun"

I take your "if not all of them" as personal one against me.

I only see the echo of the fake dealer auctioneer in your post.

And your conclusion was only based on reading just a few pages (wow, same as the reader of a newspaper who only read the main titles but not the article itself, and thinks to know what the article is about) ........do know that at the end only the ss eagle and the zipper were original, but not to that bad uniform.

Selling a bad / fake item as being original, backed up with a phony historical background story, is a bad thing in- and for- the hobby, but that is my own humble opinion, where others do see it as the most natural thing in the world.

And as in movies, books, games etc etc etc many do like the bad guys very much.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

Never mind my post Eric-Jan.  No offense intended toward you whatsoever. I never intend to offend anyone. Maybe I stay out of the Inn then.

I resumed posting on WAF after a 3 month suspension and got a nasty reply from a Mod saying in effect, "What are you doing here - we know why you are here - we are watching you, etc. etc." It's apparent to me that at least one Mod is paranoid and wants complete control over any replies that even hint they might be controversial. WAF is very unpleasant to visit these days and makes one want to quit collecting militaria altogether. I am starting to thin out my collection, and can see why a beginner visiting WAF might be scared away by the unfriendly atmosphere. There are a few dealers that I trust, but overall the militaria collecting field is a snake pit. Old time well-heeled collectors and dealers stick together, and I couldn't in good faith advise young collectors to go through the minefield.

I resumed posting on WAF after a 3 month suspension and got a nasty reply from a Mod saying in effect, "What are you doing here - we know why you are here - we are watching you, etc. etc." It's apparent to me that at least one Mod is paranoid and wants complete control over any replies that even hint they might be controversial. WAF is very unpleasant to visit these days and makes one want to quit collecting militaria altogether. I am starting to thin out my collection, and can see why a beginner visiting WAF might be scared away by the unfriendly atmosphere. There are a few dealers that I trust, but overall the militaria collecting field is a snake pit. Old time well-heeled collectors and dealers stick together, and I couldn't in good faith advise young collectors to go through the minefield.

I  know  exactly how  you  feel. I shall  not  be  renewing my  membership on WAF this  year. TR collecting  will  at  some point implode because of  the lack of integrity in  that  part of  the  hobby. It  is  a  shame we  feel  this  way,  but  that`s  how it is

Jim

• Like 2

All I can say at this point is - after my posting experiences in the WAF dagger section I feel like I have been stuck in the back by said daggers and now avoid the TR dagger collecting area altogether.

All the negativity aside, best wishes from me my friends! Sorry, very busy days.. You know the army! Hope you are all fine ?!

I have seen they love to sensor or bully expecially if you cross one of "The good old boys" and point out some of their fakes case in point the famous Champaine SS runes that now has been revealed by one expert to be a 30 plus year fraud,  timothy d 

I think that the problem with the WAF is that it is controlled and directed by for want of a better term the 'Old Gaurd'.  It is owned by them metophorically speaking and they decide what is and isn't factual which is a dangerous place for the hobby to be. 

They censor opinion, direct discussion or downright bully people.  Most of these people are themselves sponsors or advanced collectors, both of those groups have a lot to loose. 

The poor old sheep don't seem to see the conflict of interest that exists and if you point it out you get banned for upsetting the punters. 

The problem lies in the fact that there is still no collectors forum that is exclusive to collectors, the dealers always have influence since they pay undisclosed amounts to pedal their wares?

I have been banned from WAF a few times and when I look back on a previous ID the post has been edited to make me look a cnut which in all fairness I probably am but only through passion for the hobby and the history. 

When I have seen that happen it really is a demonstration of the quote from Orwells 1984 in that 'He that controls the past controls the future and he that controls the present conrols the past'.

The problem is they don't really want to make things better because they 'in the know' make too much money.  The thing to do would be to attract the honest collectors that are there and get them here.  They don't have to leave WAF it would just be another venue that would perhaps be more useful without the 'old gaurd' stearing debate.  They are here too ('the old gaurd') I have noted but not active as yet as perhaps here we are no threat to them as yet.

Timothy,

I am not a fan of Doug either as he got a bit too big for his boots and if you view all of his activity across all of the fora it is quite clear in hindsight he was preparing the market for his unloading of his collection.  He did deconstruct a dodgey helmet but I have a pal that digs stuff up and I am pretty sure what is described as the Champagne is what he dug out of the ground in Fallingbostel in the 80s (could give a 8 figure Grid reference).  He also marginalised the older collectors that said these did exist in the 60s. Not debating what he took apart was probably wrong but what if someone digs one up? What if he was selective in what he deconsructed and then he sells a collection worth at the time quite a lot of money? He had/has his followers but that is what they are. I see from posts on the various fora that they all feel a little forsaken that he sold up and did one without a by your leave so to speak.  Yes I have had a bit of a ding dong with him but it was for me not important although he did paint me as some one that was out for big bucks which was not the case. I was going to sell up a few bits to assist my wifes small business but as it turned out we didn't need to. The question is who did sell out for big bucks?

The reason WAF is tricky as a reference post is you don't know the ulterior motives of some of the posters. Are they giving honest opinions, or are they fronting for some dodgy dealer? Some dealers with whom I have done good business have been kicked out, and some dealers everyone knows are crooked are protected. It's taken me years to figure things out. And with $$$ lost along the way.

Hi guys,

every forum has it´s "black sheeps" lurking although with different agenda sometimes and in different shapes. As a former moderator at GCA i saw this first handed both in the staff as well as among its members. Some think they are almighty God and doesn´t even let other members have their own minds and theories etc. In some cases it comes to down languge barriers and cultures making the understanding or explanations difficult.

Knowing things so you your self understand it is not that hard but getting the same thing written down in a language thats not your own tounge can be tricky.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:14 AM, redcar said:

The reason WAF is tricky as a reference post is you don't know the ulterior motives of some of the posters. Are they giving honest opinions, or are they fronting for some dodgy dealer? Some dealers with whom I have done good business have been kicked out, and some dealers everyone knows are crooked are protected. It's taken me years to figure things out. And with $$$ lost along the way.

I am pretty sure the market is manipulated on that forum as it is the largest platform with the greatest reach, therefore the best tool for the job if you are in the business of pedaling dodgy gear.  You do have to be on there though as there are many honest and knowledgable individuals on there, plus you get all the gossip about new fakes, who shafted who etc...  Would it not be great if you could cherry pick the honest people and put them all in one forum without the background noise?  It will never happen sadly. That is why lots more people will loose money as you did in the journey through WAF.  Insult to injury is you have to pay to be an assosiation member to have someone diss your items.

Rich

On 2/3/2018 at 1:00 PM, Hans N said:

Hi guys,

every forum has it´s "black sheeps" lurking although with different agenda sometimes and in different shapes. As a former moderator at GCA i saw this first handed both in the staff as well as among its members. Some think they are almighty God and doesn´t even let other members have their own minds and theories etc. In some cases it comes to down languge barriers and cultures making the understanding or explanations difficult.

Knowing things so you your self understand it is not that hard but getting the same thing written down in a language thats not your own tounge can be tricky.

Hans,

It is alway dificult when the language used is not your mother tounge, I think most reasonable people will always work through that but there are others that will actively use that to derail a post if it is not what they want to hear.  I think you will always succeed in this sort of dificulty when it is a collector of like mind and they want to learn from you?

Rich

There is one moderator on WAF who thinks he is "King Of The Hill" . Though he is supposed to mod of only a few sections he runs the whole show, apparently scanning the responses 24/7, 365 days a year, anxious to post a rude reply or kick the member out altogether. It's too bad I didn't study psychology at college - I could pin down just what his problem is.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:57 AM, redcar said:

There is one moderator on WAF who thinks he is "King Of The Hill" . Though he is supposed to mod of only a few sections he runs the whole show, apparently scanning the responses 24/7, 365 days a year, anxious to post a rude reply or kick the member out altogether. It's too bad I didn't study psychology at college - I could pin down just what his problem is.

There is more than one on there with that same delusion. It is not worth getting bothered about.  keep your eye on there and if you must engage with them sort out some extra throwaway logins so you can participate until a banning.