Historical War Militaria Forum

I have posted this before on another forum, but thought that you guys might like to see these sketches.

Whilst researching for the 'Quest for a Panzer' project, I was trawling through RAF Squadron documents at the National Archives, when I stumbled across an RAF Squadron Diary, for one of the Typhoon squadrons involved with the attack.

This was an incredible find, as I was able to cross reference detail from the Squadron Mission Reports, along with entries from the diary.

It would seem that this diary was a personal squadron record of daily events by the pilots, and that each squadron member took a turn of writing the diary memoirs, with each turn taking a week (as per entries in the record).

There was one pilot in particular, a Canadian named Macintosh, who alongside his very detailed and articulate entries, would sketch little cartoons, making light hearted humour of the situation that the squadron pilots found themselves in.

These sketches show a lighter side of what must have been a very stressful time for these brave men.

These are the first couple of sketches in a series. It is probable that these sketches haven't been seen before by many, as they were tucked away in this squadron diary for the best part of 70 years. I thought that they needed to be seen, rather than lay tucked away for ever.

The first sketch, titled 'The Spartan' shows the joy of living in tents, as pilots took turns in sleeping in tents on 'Readiness' in cold and windy fields, ready to scramble, just yards from their aircraft.

The second sketch titled 'Shooting the big eye' shows what I perceive as a bit of light hearted banter aimed at a squadron member who had bulbous eyes. In this sketch he is flying his Typhoon over Normandy and 'Shooting the big eye'..

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

This next sketch titled 'Cold Starting' shows humour in the fact that a Typhoon pilot has to wheelbarrow his ammunition to the aircraft to load himself...!!!

The detail in these sketches is amazing. The sketch content is amusing, and shows a lighter side to what must have been anxious times for these pilots.

• Like 2

This next sketch titled 'Typical B flight keeness on night readiness' shows a fully kitted Typhoon pilot, sleeping upright, dreaming of shooting down Luftwaffe aircraft. In the background a staff officer is on the telephone reporting this behaviour.

These sketches are incredibly detailed, showing a real talent along with a strong sense of humour, in what must have been incredibly testing times.

I have further information relating to 'Tosh' which I will post at a later date...

• Like 1

ReichFeldpost:

Hello! Very interesting topic, well done. Thank you for sharing  pilot's sketches with the Forum.

Best regards,

John

ReichFeldpost:

Hello! Very interesting topic, well done. Thank you for sharing  pilot's sketches with the Forum.

Best regards,

John

Hi

Thank you for your comments...

This next sketch titled 'Bottoms Up' shows humour in the fact of after 2 hours on standby, a poor member of the Typhoon Squadron getting 'A bum view' of a rather large backside of a fellow pilot as he gets in his aircraft.

He mentions it as 'Looking up your assets', and really shows the character and sense of humour between the Squadron pilots.

The detail in this sketch is again incredible. I can imagine Tosh sketching away to waste some time after completing his daily entry into the Squadron diary....

This is one of my favourite sketches by 'Tosh'...

Titled 'Back to normal billets again after a Spartan', it shows a pilot who has obviously spent too much time sleeping in a tent, for instant readiness, on a Spartan, asking a Staff Officer 'What the hell is that contraption', when being shown a proper bed for him to sleep in...!!!

Great humour...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.