Mark K.

1944 Dated Canadian HCDR

3 posts in this topic

I have been on the hunt for some time now for a unmolested Canadian produced example to add to my shelf so I was quite pleased when a fellow collector contacted me a few days back in regards to this 1944 dated HCDR it appears to be in unissued condition with just a few small scuff marks on the exterior of the helmet body it is in a nice large size of 7 3/4 and the liner is marked with the BS logo (Backstay Standards ) and it bares the C-/l\ inc stamp in the dome.

Its Canadian war time designation number was A15500 (Helmet Crash Motor Cyclist Plastic ) it is thought that the contract was awarded for only 4000 examples of this particular HCDR in 1944 so they are quite hard to source .

Thanks Aaron it is a lovely example as to production dates as best I can figurer production did not commence till 1944 as the CMHQ could not find a Canadian manufacturer willing to produce them in the early war years they were either drawn from British stores and or purchased privately from companies such as Helmets Ltd, and in April of 1940, they ordered I believe 750 examples as best I can tell they also purchased helmets from Spalding Sporting Goods in 1942 and must have acquired some from the Sponge Rubber Company and Dunlop as well as I have seen a couple of examples that were manufacturered from these producers as well over the years.

I know there were subsequent orders planned for 12,000 more HCDR's to be produced by Backstay Standards at 6,000 units a year for 1945-1946 weather or not the orders were realized is not clear to me.

I was doing a little more snooping around this mor

ning and came upon another example with 1943 dated leather and so after further discussion with a friend and fellow collector here in Canada he feels that this example is possibly a trials variation and he is under the opinion that 1944 was the only year that these were produced as the war was winding down in the ETO the 1945-1946 orders were never realized

Regards Mark

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 people like this

Very very nice Mark, a real cracker and a wonderful addition to your most excellent collection.

Thanx Jerry I was quite pleased to be able to add it to my collection.

There just are not a lot of them out there that are still in original condition baring original war time paint.

I have another example but it has been painted white and bares the flash to the MP services.

Regards Mark

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor