Historical War Militaria Forum

I recently had the pleasure of being part of the logistics team involved with placement of these medals and portrait, which were commissioned to the Royal Artillery Museum in London. These were part of the Revell Smith estate.

Major General William Revell Smith was born in Melbourne Australia in 1894. Educated at Charterhouse school, he volunteered with the Westminster Dragoons in 1914 and served with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.

Later to be commissioned into Royal Artillery in 1916, he was promoted to Battery Commander.

Married Norma Flowerdew Lowson in 1920, he then served in India from 1920-1938, leading expeditions to Kashmir, Sikkim and Western Tibet.

Commander of 53 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment in 1939, he commanded all anti- aircraft forces during the invasion of Normandy, and was promoted to Major General in 1945.

He was General Officer Commanding Troops in Malta and North Africa in 1948-1949, he retired in 1949, and died in 1956.

Decorations include - CB, CBE, DSO, MC & Bar, Albert Medal, France 1914/15, British War Medal, Victory Medal 1914/18 & Mention, 1939/45 Star, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal, 1939/45 War Medal & Mention, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Commander Of Legion of Merit (America), Crown of Belgium (Commander), Belgium Croix de Guerre with Palm.

One of the most decorated Officers in the history of the Armed Forces.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Incredible set of awards and thanks for showing.

My grandad was Royal Artillery and served in Northern India in the 1920's.

Not sure under whose command,some research needed here on my behalf when i get the time.

Again,thanks.

Regars,Martin.

These pictures are a copy of the supplement to the London Gazette dated 1947.

It makes interesting reading.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.