Historical War Militaria Forum

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted much on the forums due to other commitments, but I hope you are well?

Collecting is an odd hobby, nothing is ever quite straight forward and often researching only confuses the issue and doesn't bring that clear cut answer. From reading various forums over the years I heard veterans say that they had been issued postwar garments with King's Crown buttons, this makes life very hard for a collector and for me personally a uniform or cap with the wrong "crowned" buttons or badge starts warning bells.

However, I recently picked up a Royal Marine's peak cap which I first believed was a lightweight version, although upon handling it, it clearly has vinyl features yet all else is the typical wartime characteristic with King's crown buttons, which seem original to the cap. As the cap dates to the late 1950s it is interesting that old KC stock was still being used, and confirms the memories from the late 1950s 1960s that I remember reading on the forums (although where?).

Almost to confirm the matter a 1955 Royal Marine greatcoat is being offered for sale at the moment with.... yep that's right King's crown buttons. 

As Dave said and you also, it was quite common for older stock KC buttons/badges etc.... to continue being issued until well after 1953.  I have heard from others that they were issued KC badges into the 70's and 80's, if I remember correctly.

As Dave said and you also, it was quite common for older stock KC buttons/badges etc.... to continue being issued until well after 1953.  I have heard from others that they were issued KC badges into the 70's and 80's, if I remember correctly.

Quite right jerry.

I was talking to my dad who served 24 years in the RAF and he told me he did not get his A/A badge untill about 1962.

Thanks for your replies, that is very interesting. I had no idea the stocks lasted so late. However I guess with Officer's private purchase the insignua would have been correct.

I am not sure how the senior NCOs would have taken the mixed insignia.

By the way, here is the cap in question.

Oli

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I remember reading that new insignia was only to be issued after all old stock has been used up and also the difference between the buttons might not be the the sort of detail that even the sharpest eyed NCO might notice.  And also some units were very traditional and to many an old NCO the new badges, especially AA as in the economy plastic badges of WWII, might have seemed an abomination and ordered new recruits to chuck them and get a proper brass badge.

A nice looking cap Oli.

Thanks Jerry. Its a nice addition and I think it probably dates to around the changeover time of the vinyl tops, as the peak is leather.

On a side note, I recnently saw a photo of HRH Prince Phillip and the Queen on the cover of a society magazine, in naval dress uniform and Flag Officer cap. What was interesting about the photo is that Phillip was wearing a KC badge on his cap. I cannot find the photo so perhaps I need to buy the magazine.

• Like 2

Here is my Royal Marines senior officers forage cap which has kings crown buttons and queens crown senior officers bullion badge to the front.  You can see that it had another badge on it originally  which I assume was the two part metal badge from before he was promoted from major/Lt. Colonel to Brigadier/Colonel.

The cap is typical of one from circa WWII or perhaps just after and it is clear that it had a change of badge.  Interestingly it has what I would think was a OR's chinstrap on it, which would be the case for the army and the RM but not the navy for whom this type would be for officers.  Never mind the text book then.

• Like 1

Very nice cap Jerry. Is it named at all? The chinstrap detail is indeed interesting and like you say its the RN officer type. However I also have a pre WW2 Army officers cap with such a strap. Anomalies like these do happen but why?

These caps are quite unusually and its nice to see a blue version, I am yet to find an example. Just yesterday I missed out on another KC version, although the condition was quite dulled and it was missing the two part badge, which alone would be the price of a decent Forage cap.

No name in it Oli, but I can see where it had three of those oval metallic initials removed from it, that you sometimes see in older caps.

It was for sale on ebay circa 16 months back as a staff officers cap and it was only after looking in your book that I worked out what exactly it was, at first I thought it was a Colonel who had been in the the Royal West Kent regiment and had kept his old buttons.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.