Historical War Militaria Forum
FIREBIRDC9

The WW2 PTO Weapons Collection

FIREBIRDC9    9

Hi All 

I am a bit of a newbie in terms of collecting!

Started out about 3 years ago with a Springfield M1903A3 ,  which i have swapped for the Arisaka pictured :)

I have a little collection based upon the early days of the Pacific campaign between the USMC and the IJA in places such as Guadalcanal or Tulagi

I have items from both sides.

I cannot guarantee if these weapons were used in the pacific ,  but they do portray examples of the kind that would have been seen

All guns are Deactivated to UK specifications

guns_of_guadalcanal__militaria_collectio

Starting from the Top!

An Unknown make M1 Bayonet that i intend to get rid of ,   (I have ordered a Genuine M1942 by Utica that will replace this)

A Replica MK2 Pineapple Grenade (tempted to give this a yellow coating so it matches the earlier grenades used in Guadalcanal.

A 1942 Dated M1903 Springfield by Remington 

Its Serial number is 3194470 which dates the receiver to August 1942.

The Barrel is dated 7 - 42 so a month before the receiver.    This adds up as many barrels were produced a month before being fitted to a receiver and stock.

american_m1903_springfield_rifle___remin

• Like 2

FIREBIRDC9    9

japanese_type_38_arisaka___koshikawa_ars

Next up is the Type 38 Arisaka by Koshikawa Arsenal 

Its an early rifle before the use of series marks.

The gun is Serial Number - 1,893,545
Koshikawa Arsenal produced 2,029,000 guns from 1906 - 1935 (After this , series marks were used and production moved to Kokura)

The gun retains it Imperial Chrysanthemum which can be seen on the receiver.  This meant that rather being surrendered after the war , this Gun may have been captured in the field instead.

type_38_arisaka_chrysanthemum_by_firebir

The Kanji reads downwards "38 Type"     

Also pictured are two Type 30 Bayonets 

bayonets_of_the_rising_sun_2_by_firebird

The Blade with the shined finish on the left is a Kokura Bayonet which i believe to be of Mid-War Production.

The Blade with the Blued finish is a National (Electric) Denki under Kokura Supervision Bayonet which i believe to be of Late-war production.

Both have the Birds head Pommel with hooked Quillion.

I intend to obtain a type 30 with a straight Quillion made by Toyoda Automatic Loom Works or possibly Jinsen Arsenal Korea

• Like 1

FIREBIRDC9    9

Next up is the M1928A1 Thompson 

american_m1928a1_thompson___savage_by_fi

This gun is Manufactured by Savage

This Guns serial number is S-315984 and has an acceptance stamps saying "RLB" (Roy L. Bowlin) and "GEG"  (George E. Goll, the chief inspector of the Auto-Ordnance Corporation)

The currently loaded 20 rd Magazine is genuine ,  as is the 30 rd Magazine.

The other 20 rd Magazine is a Denix Replica as well as the 50 rd Drum

PioneerRAE    93

"Nice" mix off weapons you have score and in a short time!   Yep it's great that Dentex came around for these cheap fill ins, as you our laws are very stricted down under!   Did you purchase these in the UK, or outside?

Lou

FIREBIRDC9    9

"Nice" mix off weapons you have score and in a short time!   Yep it's great that Dentex came around for these cheap fill ins, as you our laws are very stricted down under!   Did you purchase these in the UK, or outside?

Lou

I bought these all in the UK

UK Guns laws are a mess ,   i wouldn't even know how to go about importing a Deactivated gun here.

Which is a shame because they are so much cheaper in europe!

Thanks!

PioneerRAE    93

I bought these all in the UK

UK Guns laws are a mess ,   i wouldn't even know how to go about importing a Deactivated gun here.

Which is a shame because they are so much cheaper in europe!

Thanks!

With importing deactivated weapons into Australia, it's straight forward, and as we are simlar in our affairs as the UK, I think they may have the same or have a simmler setup.    Firstly you contact your'e Police Firarms department (or their Web site) and see if they have a import document you can down load, ours is called a B709, if they do find out what the deactivation (I think you know as you have a few of them) laws are in the UK, as then you will know what is required so if the weapon you want to bring in, is not to the requirments, then you need to inform the seller what he needs to do to it before they can send it to you so you want get caught with a weapon that does not meet the UK laws, and then starts costing you dollars and allot of runing around getting permits, to move the weapon from customs to a armourer to get it up to UK laws, it's a nitghtmare, I know its happen to me:-(!   At first its best to deal with established dealers, until you have brought in a few and get to know the ropes, also make sure you either contact UK Customs, or check their web site, as it is over here our state Police and them to not talk much to each other, so knowning if change in importing deactivated weopens (rilfe's and pistols) you need to deal with UK Customs!   Heres a link to a European dealer that I have pruchase a number off deactivated weapos over the past years. www.raskantik.com/

I hope I have give you a chance to purchase outside of the UK,

Lou

FIREBIRDC9    9

The M1942 has arrived!

Utica Cutlery made with a Detroit Gasket Scabbard.

Blade has lost most of its original finish and i suspect the green paint on the Scabbard isn't original but looks good either way.

Fits the M1903 Springfield perfectly.

Has the ordinance stamp on the reverse of the blade ,   along with numbers prefixed with "F"

Not sure what these numbers mean however.

utica_cutlery_us_m1942_bayonet_by_firebi

• Like 1

FIREBIRDC9    9

Went to the Military Odyssey at Detling today

Manged to pick this up for only £50

A good price for one of the Rarer makers of Type 30 Bayonets.

Series marked "Shi" 75144 and has an acceptance stamp below the serial Number.

Made by Subcontractor Aisan Kogyo , (Previously Known as Nagoya Triangle to collectors) , Production at Aisan Kogyo was estimated to be 350,000 Bayonets.

Only bad thing is the Bayonet has lost its point  ,  someone has tried to stab something rather solid!

japanese_type_30_bayonet_aisan_kogyo_by_

• Like 1

Petesav    139

real nice mate.

Nice to see a split collection .

Makes for a good collection as there are at least 2 sides in a conflict.

Keep it up want to see more soon.

Regards Pete

FIREBIRDC9    9

american_m1917_bayonet_by_winchester_by_

My Latest Militaria purchase!  (03/12/2015)

An American M1917 Bayonet

The M1917 wasn't actually a Bayonet made for WW2 ,  It was designed for use on the M1917 Enfield (Aka The American Enfield) and also used on Americas trenchguns.

By WW2 the Bayonet mountings on American TrenchGuns hadn't changed , so the Shotguns used in the Pacific and European fronts would be accompanied by a M1917 Bayonet!

This fits into my early Pacific war collection nicely , Bayonets of this kind would have been seen on the business end of M12 or M1897 Trenchguns.

It has a 16 inch blade and a leather scabbard. 

The Scabbard is marked "GF" meaning "General Fireproofing"  on the metal and shows a inspection stamp on the leather of G.H.Y

The M1917 Bayonet was produced by Remington and Winchester ,   this one is made by the latter.

There were in the region of 2,000,000 of these bayonets produced , with 500,000 of these being made by Winchester

I would love to obtain an M1897 Winchester Trenchgun to go with it!   But they are very hard to come across in the UK

Torch    6

Fantastic group of weapons there mate,my understanding with the bodies painted yellow was that it was a pre war practice and they were rapidly repainted(OD with only a collar of yellow at the top) in combat as the grenades were so easy to see

FIREBIRDC9    9

Fantastic group of weapons there mate,my understanding with the bodies painted yellow was that it was a pre war practice and they were rapidly repainted(OD with only a collar of yellow at the top) in combat as the grenades were so easy to see

You are correct!

I would love to find an original yellow one ,  but it would be literally impossible to verify.

I may just spray paint my replica one yellow.

Much easier!

Thanks for the brilliant comments everyone.

After the Nambu Arrives i will probably buy no more guns sadly.

The deactivation laws in the UK have just changed , i am lucky to have got the Nambu just before it happened.

Always room for more Bayonets though! :D

FIREBIRDC9    9

Here it is!

A Japanese Type 14 Nambu Pistol made by Nagoya Arsenal Toriimatsu
Its a second series pistol ( NAT made two series of Type 14 pistols )

This gun is Serial number 40409        
It is dated SHO 19.5   ,  this translates to May 1944

The Type 14 Nambu fired an 8mm round from a 8 round stick magazine.
It is a recoil operated semi-automic pistol.

The Nambu saw combat before and during the second world war , usually carried by NCO's and available for purchase by Officers.

Just like in Britain , Officers were expected to buy their own pistols.

This is a mid to late war weapon , you can see the trigger guard has been extended so that the pistol can be fired by wearing gloves.

It is also worth noting the the cocking piece on this gun is of an earlier type , the original cocking piece for this pistol would have looked like this 

media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/1…

I have wanted one of these for a while.

They are rather hard to come across in the UK

Also pictured are two Japanese Rank Bars 

The one on the left indicates a Corporal , the one on the right indicates a Superior Private.

japanese_type_14_nambu____toriimatsu_2nd

FIREBIRDC9    9

Here is a little grouping featuring the Type 14 and a Japanese Sake Cup

All Japanese soldiers of WW2 carried a Sake Cup , usually purchased by families before they go off to war.
A range of designs were available all featuring different subjects.

This one shows the IJA Flag alongside some Cherry Blossoms with the raised Army Star in the centre.

I am halfway through translating this cup , all i can tell you is it says "Commemoration of Service"  i can't tell you what the rest says yet.

And the flag is a repro navy flag. (Still need to get an Army one)

FIREBIRDC9    9

Here is a little grouping featuring the Type 14 and a Japanese Sake Cup

type_14_nambu_and_sake_by_firebirdc9-daa

All Japanese soldiers of WW2 carried a Sake Cup , usually purchased by families before they go off to war.
A range of designs were available all featuring different subjects.

This one shows the IJA Flag alongside some Cherry Blossoms with the raised Army Star in the centre.

I am halfway through translating this cup , all i can tell you is it says "Commemoration of Service"  i can't tell you what the rest says yet.

And the flag is a repro navy flag. (Still need to get an Army one)
  • Like 1