Historical War Militaria Forum
Jerry B

1915 Dated Prussian bugle

A recent pick up of a very salty semi relic Prussian bugle said to be a battlefield pickup and it was recently used to play the last post by a friend of the seller.

Clearly dated 1915 and maker marked for Konrad Eschenbach a well known maker of instruments until his son took over in 1917.  This type of brass bugle with nickel fitting was replaced by an all brass version later in 1915 which was then quickly superseded by an all dull iron version until wars end.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom.  As you will know, i don't often by anything not British these days but I could not resist this.

Jerry,

I  don`t know how  I  missed  this post. What  a  fantastic item. I love  these pieces.  My  brother  has  the  bugle played  by our  home  town company of  1/6 North  Staffordshires at the  battle of  Loos on  13th  October  1915,  donated  to  him  by  the  son of  the  soldier. These  pieces  are just  fantastic  items of history. A wonderful,  wonderful  bugle you  have there.

Jim

Jerry,

I  don`t know how  I  missed  this post. What  a  fantastic item. I love  these pieces.  My  brother  has  the  bugle played  by our  home  town company of  1/6 North  Staffordshires at the  battle of  Loos on  13th  October  1915,  donated  to  him  by  the  son of  the  soldier. These  pieces  are just  fantastic  items of history. A wonderful,  wonderful  bugle you  have there.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

As I already mentioned, I rarely buy anything not British since the last few years but sometimes I find something that I have to have and this is one of them.

Jerry, nice acquisition.  I've never done any research on imperial bugles.  Do you recall the source(s) of information you found for this?

Below is a photo from my collection showing what I believe are soldiers of IR29 holding two horns the same as yours:

Musiker-Horn-01.jpg

Ben

19 hours ago, TheGronkster said:

Jerry, nice acquisition.  I've never done any research on imperial bugles.  Do you recall the source(s) of information you found for this?

Below is a photo from my collection showing what I believe are soldiers of IR29 holding two horns the same as yours:

Ben

Ben,

mostly from google searches, there are a few examples posted on the GHW2 site, though you have to be a member to read them there.

Jerry

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.