Historical War Militaria Forum

]Hey All, 

It has been long since I last posted, but I really need your help.

This is a very beautiful Portrait that I have form Admiraloberstabsarzt Professor Alfred Fikentscher - I have cropped it somewhat for security.

Can any of you supply me with information about this man..?..I have only what Wikipedia tells about him and what I find here and there on the internet.

Anything will be highly appreciated..!!..

Best, 

Hans Kristian

IMG_20141005_0001_redA_red.tif

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Some biographical information (Source: Die Kriegsmarine 1939-1945 Hildebrand Lohmann).

List of awards:

-Iron Cross 2nd Class

-Iron Cross 1st Class

-Honour Cross with Swords

-Wehrmacht Long Service Decoration 1st Class

-Wehrmacht Long Service Decoration 3rd Class

-German Red Cross Decoration (unsure which grade)

-War Merit Cross 2nd Class

-War Merit Cross 1st Class

-German Cross in Silver: 21.09.1943

A more concise biography:

Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. med. Alfred Fikentscher

Born: 30 Apr 1888 in Augsburg

Died: 10 Jan 1979 in Kiel

Promotions:

Marineunterarzt (11 May 1914); Marineassistenzarzt (14 Jul 1914); Marineoberassistenzarzt (16 Jul 1915); Marinestabsarzt (19 Apr 1918); Marineoberstabsarzt (01 Jan 1928); Marinegeneraloberarzt (01 Oct 1932); Geschwaderarzt (01 Apr 1934); Flottenarzt (01 Oct 1935); Admiralarzt (01 Nov 1938); Admiralstabsarzt (01 Nov 1939); Admiraloberstabsarzt (01 Sep 1942)

Career:

Entered the Army as a One-Year-Volunteer with the Infantry-Leib-Regiment of the Royal Bavarian Army (01 Apr 1910)
Entered the Navy as a One-Year-Volunteer (01 Apr 1914)
Transferred to the Active-Officer-Corps and with the I. Sailor-Division (11 May 1914-01 Aug 1914); Half-Flotilla-Medic with the 2nd Torpedo-Boat-Half-Flotilla (02 Aug 1914-00 Apr 1916)
Auxiliary-Medic on the Heavy Cruiser 'Seydlitz' (00 Apr 1916-21 Jun 1919)
At the same time, Detached as Auxiliary-Medic on the Mine-Cruiser 'Brummer' (00 May 1917-00 May 1917)
POW, then Returned Home and Placed to the Disposal of the Chief of the Admiralty (21 Jun 1919-20 Apr 1920)
Placed to the Disposal of the Station-Medic of the Naval-Station of the Baltic Sea (21 Sep 1920-05 Oct 1920)
With the Naval-Hospital Kiel-Wik then with the Personnel-Office Baltic Sea and District-Medic Hulk 'Kronprinz' (06 Oct 1920-29 Nov 1921)
At the same time, Acting-Garrison-Medic Friedrichsort (15 Dec 1920-13 Jan 1921)
At the same time, Acting-Ships-Medic on the Cruiser 'Medusa' (17 Dec 1920-05 Jan 1921)
At the same time, Acting-Naval-Family-Medic Kiel (20 Jan 1921-18 Feb 1921)
At the same time, Acting-Chief-Medic of the Naval-Hospital M?rwik (23 May 1921-21 Jun 1921)
At the same time, Acting-Chief-Medic of the Naval-Convalescent-Home Holsteinische Schweiz (14 Jul 1921-12 Aug 1921)
At the same time, Acting-Battalion-Medic of the Infantry-Battalion, Stralsund (06 Sep 1921-29 Nov 1921)
Battalion-Medic of the Infantry-Battalion (30 Nov 1921-31 Mar 1922)
Battalion-Medic of the 2nd Battalion of the Ships-Cadre-Division of the Baltic Sea (01 Apr 1922-24 Apr 1923)
At the same time, Chief Medical Officer at the Naval-Hospital-Battalion Stralsund (01 Oct 1922-24 Apr 1923)
Medical Service in Berlin (01 May 1925-30 Sep 1925)
Placed to the Disposal of the Station-Medic of the Naval-Station of the Baltic Sea, Detached to the University Ophthalmic Clinic Berlin (01 Oct 1925--5 Oct 1928)
Senior-Medic of the Naval-Hospital Kiel-Wik and also Acting-Ships-Medic on the Liner 'Hessen' (06 Oct 1928-26 Sep 1929)
At the same time, Senior-Medic at the Naval-School Kiel-Wik (06 Oct 1928-02 Jan 1930)
At the same time, Senior-Medic at the Ship-Artillery-School (01 Nov 1928-29 Mar 1932)
At the same time, Acting-Division-Medic of the Ships-Cadre-Division of the Baltic Sea (01 Jul 1930-10 Jul 1930)
Chief-Medic of the Naval-Hospital Kiel-Wik (30 Mar 1932-18 Jun 1936)
At the same time, Chief Medic at the Naval-Hospital Kiel-Wik (30 Mar 1932-30 Sep 1932)
Medic with Fleet-Command (19 Jun 1936-28 Oct 1938)
Station-Medic and Chief of the Medical-Office of the Naval-Station of the North Sea (31 Oct 1938-26 Nov 1939)
Chief of the Naval-Medical-Office (27 Nov 1939-31 Dec 1939)
Chief of the Naval-Medical-Office and Medical-Chief of the Kriegsmarine, OKM (01 Jan 1940-30 Nov 1943)
Retired (30 Nov 1943)
Placed to the Disposal of the Kriegsmarine without being Mobilised (01 Dec 1943)

• Like 1

Hi Pierce,

Great information for Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. med. Alfred Fikentscher.

In the book "Der Sanitätsdienst in der deutschen U-Boot-Waffe" by Hartmut Nöldeke and Volker Hartmann he is mentioned in the literature and sources list.

Fikentscher, A.

Lagebericht über den Stand des Marinesanitätswesens am 6.1 und 28.9.1943.

Unveröffentliches Schreibmaschinenmanuskript, Kopie, Sammlg. d. Verf.

In the same book :

Im weiteren Verlauf sollten Ärzte auf U-Booten mitfahren, die für den Südatlantik und Ostasien bestimmt waren, auf Versorgungsbooten und beim Einsatz mehrere Boote im "Rudel" bei der Bekämpfung von Geleitzügen.

Als sich die erfolgreichen Angriffe feindlichen Flugzeuge auf deutsche U-Boote häuften, und es dadurch immer öfter zu Verwundungen bei der Besatzung kam, forderte der Oberbefehlshaber der Kriegsmarine, Großadmiral Karl Dönitz, am 23 Mai 1943 vom Sanitätschef der Kriegsmarine, Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. Alfred Fikentscher, auf jedes zweite Boot einen Arzt zu kommandieren.

In einem Lagebericht vom 28. September 1943 vor hohen Marinesanitätsoffizieren hat Fikentscher dazu mitgeteilt, Dönitz habe bereits zwei Tage zuvor in Brest vor U-Boot-Offizieren eine entsprechende Zusage gegeben.

Als seine Weisung schnell zu hohen Verluste an Ärzten führte, beklagte sich Dönitz vor U-Boot-Ärzten in Lorient, er wäre in dieser Angelegenheit vom Sanitätschef lieber "etwas besser beraten" worden.

So erinnert sich Dr. Rudolf Tidow, damals Marineoberstabsarzt und Adjutant des Sanitätschefs.

Fikentschers Nachfolger war ab 1. Oktober 1943 Admiralstabsarzt Dr. Emil Greul.

Did Dönitz remove Fikentscher therefore from his position ? and so ending Fikentscher's military career ?

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

The jacket of Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. med. Alfred Fikentscher was sold by Andreas-Thies some years ago.

(Photo credits to Andreas-Thies)

• Like 1

Did Dönitz remove Fikentscher therefore from his position ? and so ending Fikentscher's military career ?

Best regards

Eric-Jan

It seems Dönitz wanted his own man on the job.

Thanks for all the input guys, I do have the - very good - books by Nöldeke and Hartmann. And yes, it seemed he fell in disgrace with his boss and was sacked the nice way. In Fischer, Hubert "der deutsche sanitätsdienst 1921-1945" there is description of how Fikentscher woeked har to improve education and as I remember he was against putting medical doctors on Uboots as he saw no reason - and the boss did not like this, apparently. But actually he was right, they did not have that many doctors to spare.

Augustin, thanks for the picture, does anyone have an idea who bought the uniform, and what the price was..?..

Hans Kristian

..Ahh, I saw that Eric JB already wrote that.. :sleep:

Hi, I found this site looking for information on this Admiral, thanks for the info.

I am the owner of this uniform to buy from a friend who bought it in Thies, the starting price was 3,500 €

Attached photos uniform and certificate of authenticity later made me Weitze.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Julian,

Thank you for showing us the extra images of Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. med. Alfred Fikentscher's jacket.

I do like that name tag very much.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Julian,

It is a beautiful uniform. I am glad the information posted is of use to you.

Kind regards

Pierce

Thanks for sharing this beautiful uniform, Julian! Glad to see that such threads come together, photographs with uniforms etc.! Hope one day more things are united. Glad to have you on board, Julian. Interested to know what more hides in your collection.

Some more photos of this man.