Historical War Militaria Forum

My prized possession..

Designated as Fl30154-2, this is the fantastic Luftwaffe "Schwimmweste".

All straps and ring fittings are complete on this late war example.

The inflation tube is of the plastic type, and the CO2 (Fl30153-1) bottle is still in great shape.

The stamped label is nice and clear and there is another stamp underneath the inflation tube loop. (22 or some thing.)

The rubberized canvas is still in a lovely condition.

Also on the Schwimmweste are the Luftwaffe survival whistle and Compass.

This inflatable Schwimmweste was much sought after by the RAF Pilots, including Guy Gibson.

I've had this example for a while now and got it quite cheaply to be fair.

I wonder how it came to the UK?  Was it via, a shot down German Airman??

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

That is a stunning condition 10-30 B-2 with the later war period stamped label, and it does look great with your fliegerbluse in the images.

This example looks to be in unissued condition, and may well of been one that came from a small hoard of mint examples that surfaced a few years ago.

I have an earlier period example with the sewn on label in my collection, although mine is slightly used it would look well worn next to your fine example!

You are right about Wg Cdr Guy Gibson, there was a famous propaganda photograph of him with a 10-30 B2 draped over his shoulder.

Regards Richard.

Sure thing, Here you are!

• Like 1

Superb Richard, that one is stunning.

I love the scene in the "Battle Of Britain" movie/film where the crew members are trying to get out of the aircraft, wearing these Kapok vests.

May I ask where it came from?

That is a stunning condition 10-76 B1 model Kapok Schwimmweste!

Always scare to come by, the few that do surface are extremely well worn (often stained with aircraft oil/mechanical fluids etc) and ripped torn from their life entering and exiting the tight confines of aircraft and with the securing toggles missing.

Very, very nice example you have there.

Regards Richard.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:19 PM, Sonderbefehls said:

It's a great "find" Richard.. why can't I find these Luftwaffe pieces in local flea markets? :smile:

Do you know what it's worth is mate?

I have a few German pals with their eyes on it and good offers but it will be staying here for the forseeable future, sure, I will drop you a line if I part with it. The problem is when I shift stuff I like to trade and it is always difficult to please both parties?!

On 23/11/2016 at 7:38 PM, Richard Auld said:

I have a few German pals with their eyes on it and good offers but it will be staying here for the forseeable future, sure, I will drop you a line if I part with it. The problem is when I shift stuff I like to trade and it is always difficult to please both parties?!

Richard, I am not suprised that you have received some good offers for this piece, they are extremely sought after, and in that condition quite a find for any Luftwaffe enthusiasts collection.  

I think you would secure a premium price for that in the open market, or secure a very good trade if that would be your wish.

Regards Richard.

Guys,

I am thining out the stuff not in my main focus, does anyone have a lufty collector that might want the kapok vest?

I also have some bulky stuff that takes space that right now I could use.

Drop me a line if anyone here has interest.

Rich

I'm sure there are a lot of collectors out that would pay good money for that Kapok vest.

E-mail some militaria shops and may be they could trade for some thing more in to your personal taste?

I'm sure you could easily get £1500/£2000 for that Kapok vest.

I gave him a spin but I think I can do better this side, I understand they need to make a living but if I trade I get a better margin hopefully. Like for like from a fellow collector would be best! They are not interested in anything not mail orderable so that rules out the big stuff!

No. thank you for the tip it was useful to know what he would offer for it and that was a blind offer he made, even he conceded it was very nice when he seen it as his last one was missing the lable. Of course I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Rich

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.