Historical War Militaria Forum

Picked this up at an antique fair this morning. As I don't know much about these I came home and hit the Forum. I think the blue fold in the puggaree make this a RAAF item. It is dated 1944 and has the Victoria State makers mark. I suspect the badge [a broached collar] has been added later. The brim does not have a press stud. Did the RAAF always wear these brim down ?

It is in very good [unworn ?] condition. Has enough moth and wear to make me think [hope] genuine.

The Pug has some ink stamps but I cant make them out.

Would be grateful for any information.

Thank You.

Graham. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The marks inside the puggaree.

Thanks for your reply Jerry. I am giving myself a crash coarse on all things Slouch hat. From what I have read the Navy and Air force wore the slouch hat brim down, with only the Army turning up the brim. [To clear the rifle when at the slope ?]. So it is correct not to have the press stud. I have removed the badge and would have put an RAAF badge on the front but the one I have is on lugs and I don't fancy making more holes. Will try to get one on a slider. 

Thanks.

Graham.

Graham. You are correct that mostly the raaf wore them brim down. I have also seen wartime examples with the liner laced on place. Have you checked if the pug is dated on the inside?

Jerry, I posted some pics above of inside the pug. No date. The purple circle ink stamp I think is size 7. Not sure of the other mark.      

When did they start to add the reinforcement to the edge of the brim ?

Thanks.

Graham.

Jerry, I posted some pics above of inside the pug. No date. The purple circle ink stamp I think is size 7. Not sure of the other mark.      

When did they start to add the reinforcement to the edge of the brim ?

Thanks.

Graham.

Sorry Graham, I have had no internet at home until yesterday evening and have been using the phone to view the site and missed the pics of the pug markings.

The brim reinforcing trim was a pre war feature that was dropped for ease of production and/or as an economy measure circa late 1941 and came back into use in the post war period.  Early post war slouch hats are not often seen so I could not state when exactly it was reintroduced.  Besides the dated liner with the state and makers code identifying it as wartime, the red brown air vents are not seen on post war slouchies, being only seen pre war or during the war, so always nice to see them though these are now being coloured in by the fakers on post war hats to increase their value.

Thanks Jerry, that's good information. Been looking online for an RAAF cap badge on a slider but every one I have seen is on lugs. I notice the brim was turned up on the wrong side.

Graham

Marcus. Thanks for your reply. An interesting site which has helped me make out the makers mark on my RAAF badge as AMOR SYDNEY.

I wonder if all RAAF badges are on lugs. The broach pin one could work of cause but I wonder what was the norm.

The brim is now down. Shame really, they look good up. May have to start looking for a British made example.

Thanks.

Graham.   

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.