Historical War Militaria Forum
Jerry B

Very quiet on the forum

I notice that again this forum is not very active.  Is this a reflection of the hobby or merely a reflection of the size of the forum and its membership?

Certainly in my own case I sometimes take time out from posting on forums, but in terms of adding to my collection, I buy new items on a regular basis, though I don't always share them here.

Aside from, how busy are the other members, are you all picking up new items and showing them?  Obviously like most forums there is an emphasis on TR items and to be honest I no longer collect such so I rarely visit those sections of the site that deal with such which I assume is much the same as to why not many visit the British sections so that probably explains my comments above.

Still, it would be good if the forum became more active as I think the busier it got the busier it would get as activity would encourage more activity.

Had been thinking the same.

It is not unique to this forum, many of those I visit are not as active as they used to be, but this forum really could do with some activity to encourage more members to join and those who are already members to post more often.  If you post items and there is little response to them it does IMO make you take your items and post them elsewhere where they will garner some response in terms of comments or questions and likes etc....

I as I said above don't always post here as often they get little in the way of any sign that they have even been looked at, and whilst I understand that much of what I post is a bit specific and might not appeal to all or even very many, still it would be good if others could make show some sign that they noticed such posts.

I know with some people illness or work gets in the way of being very active and that is fair enough and maybe many here are not making new buys because of the downturn.

Enough rambling!

• Like 1

My collection long ago progressed to the point that I don't buy a lot any more, thus I don't have anything new to brag about. 

Almost all of my posts are to comment on someone elses' items and perhaps show photos of my like ones. 

End result is I don't post as often as I used to. 

Sarge 

• Like 1

I am a member of three militaria forums. So tend to post items here that are not appropriate to the others. Sometimes I post the same item on two forums to see the varying responses. Like Jerry I rarely visit the TR section. Also tend not to use the Forum so much in the summer months.

I would use the 'like' feature more to show I appreciate someone's post but there is a limit per day. 

Will try to contribute on others posts a bit more I think.

Graham.

• Like 1

The Christmas period slowed me down from buying, hence not posting new helmets. This wasn't down to lack of money, just nothing out there to buy,  over 31 days of not buying, I nearly started hitting the bottle. :smile:

But every day I visit this forum, & if there are no new items for me to look at (Brit Helmets) You do lose the will to add anything.

But hopefully things will pick up.

Aaron

• Like 1

Good to see some response.  This is such a great forum with no one giving anyone any grief.  Maybe one of its many good points is that it is quiet.  Certainly if it got too busy it would lose something.

• Like 1

I'm on a couple of other forums and they are quite "slow" at the moment too.

I think it's just "quiet" phase that we are all going through, so I'm sure it will pick up.

• Like 1

I think it's just "quiet" phase that we are all going through, so I'm sure it will pick up.

Indeed, I am also on a few others and many of them are slow at this time of year and also I think slow in general.

As long as we can maintain this place as a haven of polite and calm we can't go wrong.

• Like 1

Indeed, I am also on a few others and many of them are slow at this time of year and also I think slow in general.

As long as we can maintain this place as a haven of polite and calm we can't go wrong.

Pete and Jerry,

I can only second that Gentlemen.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

I agree with all others.   After getting burned by losing items in the mail, I am a bit skittish.  Lost a bit of money on those.

For myself, I have begun reading old books, accounts and such of the battles and such.  Just finished: "The Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan and "Stuka Pilot" by Hans U. Rudel.   Two books I have read several times but, always like re-reading.  I sometimes need to reflect that it is the history that I love; the items and such are wonderful.  It is great to have such a knowledge base especially in the world of collecting, however, I would rather learn and improve upon my knowledge of historical events than say work on the fine details of a certain badge vs a different manufacturer; I still find that important, just focusing on different things. 

I know what I am looking for to complete my collection.  I and am enjoying reading and maybe commenting and ooohing and aaahing at some other members good pick up pieces. 

Best Regards

Justin

• Like 1

When I went to the Bolton Militaria Fair, a couple of weeks ago, it was well attended, so the interest is still there.

What I did notice was the lack of young people, mostly middle age and higher.

So, as WE grow older, maybe the interest in the younger generation is beginning to fade.

• Like 1

I think ime with Sarge here on this point.

I to have reached a point in my selective collecting that I have made it hard for me to buy new pieces.

The problem is not the passion but the funds as I find myself at the high end.Now rather than every 2 months ive reached evey year .

This in turn I think makes you a bit bored as the chase is rarely on.All I seem to do these days is to look at about 3 web sites looking at the things that I cannot afford.

The problem is my wages haven't risen to combat my lust for it AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  I love enamel.its like a dam drug to me.

Regards Pete.

When I went to the Bolton Militaria Fair, a couple of weeks ago, it was well attended, so the interest is still there.

What I did notice was the lack of young people, mostly middle age and higher.

So, as WE grow older, maybe the interest in the younger generation is beginning to fade.

This point about a lack of youngsters coming through has been mentioned on other forums.

One thing I have noticed recently is the rise of face book pages and especially sellers sites on there that seem to be very busy with plenty of buyers it seems.

I agree with all others.   After getting burned by losing items in the mail, I am a bit skittish.  Lost a bit of money on those.

For myself, I have begun reading old books, accounts and such of the battles and such.  Just finished: "The Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan and "Stuka Pilot" by Hans U. Rudel.   Two books I have read several times but, always like re-reading.  I sometimes need to reflect that it is the history that I love; the items and such are wonderful.  It is great to have such a knowledge base especially in the world of collecting, however, I would rather learn and improve upon my knowledge of historical events than say work on the fine details of a certain badge vs a different manufacturer; I still find that important, just focusing on different things. 

I know what I am looking for to complete my collection.  I and am enjoying reading and maybe commenting and ooohing and aaahing at some other members good pick up pieces. 

Best Regards

Justin

I have  a few old fave books that I read again and again, personal accounts are the best and you always notice something new each time, or at least I do.

• Like 1

From my perspective, it is the quality over the quantity and the friendly atmosphere of this forum that is refreshing.

I must admit that I have not posted as much lately than I have in the past however, that is in part due to not having completed any research pieces lately to post for all to see, rather than anything else.

I think there does seem to be a lull in militaria collecting and other forums too in the wider environs however, I am sure this forum will speed up again in the future.

Regards Richard.

• Like 1

It's hard to comment on stuff that your not in your field of interest/collecting.

I wouldn't know where to start with badges/awards and the like, so some times leaving a reply is hard when trying to find the right words.

But, I do feel a bit of interest (WW2) is beginning to fade (?), but, interest in other conflicts such as the Falklands war is becoming increasingly popular (?).

So, all in all I think we are doing fine. :smile: