Historical War Militaria Forum

A recent acquisition, an officers SD named to Eaton form Aylesbury.  The cap came with a very poor condition staff officers red band and metal badge, though both have obviously been resewn so they might not belong with the cap, however there were signs they had been together fro some time.  The cap is in very good condition with only a few moth holes and the crown was lined with brown paper, there is no makers mark under the paper but the paper size label is of the circular form which I think is typical of WWI examples, as is the very narrow chinstrap with a riveted diamond shaped slide.  It has GS buttons, kings crown and green skiver under the peak which is typical for WWI or interwars SD caps, though this feature continued in use much later on forage/dress caps.

Some pix are the sellers, others are mine after the red band fell off. It also came with a set of six officers black cloth bath stars on a red backing which I think makes them for Infantry though the seller thought they were Staff officer.  The seller thought the officer had served in WWI as a staff officer and then in WWII in the Home Guard.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Very nice cap Jerry. I also saw this and was umming and arring about it. Shame about the

condition of the red band but nevertheless a beauty. Do you think he would have worn this for the Home Guard. I would be doubtful.

Oli

Very nice cap Jerry. I also saw this and was umming and arring about it. Shame about the

condition of the red band but nevertheless a beauty. Do you think he would have worn this for the Home Guard. I would be doubtful.

Oli

Oli,

The red band is so badly damaged it fell off as I was examining the cap and it had two repairs joining it back together and the badge was only loosely tacked to it so I can't see how it had been on the cap for any length of time.  Either it was put back on after being stored separately or it was a put together, probably impossible to tell, though I think at best it had been badly restored recently.  Obviously, different fabrics do survive better than some others - I've seen cloth cap badges where the backing fabric is all gone but not the embroidery- and there were faint traces of glue on the cap body and the red band that shows they had probably been together previously.  

There is no evidence that I could see for any WWII service in the Home Guard.

All in all a good condition cap for a good price, I am certainly happy with it.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.