Historical War Militaria Forum

Hello there.

I am fairly new in this subject, so I need some of your professional help. 
Can you help me to figure out whether this is a fake or an original? I can see no stamps.
And why or why not it is an original or not. I would be very happy for any help here.

Tom

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Interesting tom.I would have thought post war 1945 - pre 1957 versions would have more current hardware.Pin,clasp,hinge,enameling etc.If this was a post war issue,you would not expect so much wear to the badge.Cheers Wolf.

Hi Wolf. Thank you for your feedback. I am still out in the dark here. And after all I guess I just have to look at it as a copy.
I payed probably to much for it if it is a copy and to little for it if is should end up being an original..... Tom  

I  am  sorry  to  say  this is not  an original  war time  cross. . An  excellent  reference  work on  this  cross is  available  authored  by  Dietrich Maerz. Before  I  bought  my  DKiG I  bought  the  book  and  studied the individual  makers of  the  award. The  cost of  such  items  is  so  high  that the  price of  the  book  pales into  insignificance.

Mine  is  a  Zimmermann  marked  20.

• Like 1

Hi Jim. Thank you very much for the information and for tip about the reference book. I will check it out.
And it is a very nice DKiG you have there. 
Tom

I might be wrong, but I believe this cross is described as an unknown maker in Dietrich's book, I should look it up again. Whoever made it, also made a 57er variant (see Deschler in attached pics).

Personally don't believe it's pre 45, the quality of the enamel is not good enough IMO.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

The wreath on your example definitely matches the cross on page 238 in Dietrich's book, however that one sports a wartime style Zimmermann hardware and as has been said the maker is unknown.....

I'd advice you to put it up for discussion on WAF and report back here.:smile:

Regards,

Nick

Thank you. I will see what I can do. Do you have the link to WAF?
I notice the 1941 is almost identical with the one in the book.

Tom

Did WAF report more about this cross? Would be nice to update if here if it did, so our members also can learn more about it.

On 1/27/2017 at 10:09 PM, Nick H. said:

Hi Bart,  There were some good feedback's convincing me that it is a fake:  1: The pin and catch are not wartime examples, and the rivets are far too crude to have passed inspection ,  2:  From my point of view the wreath is unlike any known war time examples that I am aware of. The pin, hook and hinge on the back are also unlike any wartime example I am aware of. The rivets seem to large from known examples. Its for these reasons that I personally would not put this cross into my collection. 3:  The wreath doesn't match, the rivets don't match, the pin reminds me of a post war Souval or S&L pin, so basically everything. Have a look through the pictures in various thread for the different types of DK and you'll get the idea. Also look at the post war S&L examples in the 57er section. Sadly you may not find too many post war Souval examples, but they are quite different to wartime ones and this one you have is trying to pass itself off as war time so they are the examples to check. I wish we had a pictorial database for these as we do the RKs1

Thank you for your interest and your help.

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.