Historical War Militaria Forum
wasa

Sicherungs-Bataillon 791

Hello

I have a wehrpass.
Can anyone help me with information about the type of work or service that Sicherungs Bataillon 791 and 701 had on the East Frontier between 1941 and 1943.
Wasa

Sich.Btl 701 & 791 seems to of been in the area of Heeresgruppe Mitte so would of been used for security duties behind the front lines, guarding depots and the lines of communication plus taking part in anti-partisan actions. In 1943 Sich.Btl 791 were at Ljubetsch.

Hi and thank you Kevin, that was interesting information you gave. The person concerned died 29.9.1943. I have tried in my chamber to interpret the last 4 lines but ..... regards. Wasa

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The last 4 lines read:

Sicherung der nachshublinien, Kampf mit versprengten Feindgruppen und Banditen im Heeresgebiet Mitte.

Einsatz im Russland

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the answers, he received ISA postum a few months after he fell on 29-03-1943. Is it the place or place where he fell as he stands and how to interpret the name of Hauptman.
greetings
Wasa

The place where he was killed isn't mentioned. What you see is the term F.d.Richtigkeit (Für die Richtigkeit).

If you post his name and date of birth so someone can check he might be listed in the Volksbund database which might mention where he died.

No idea who the Hauptmann is I'm afraid.

Hello and thank you again that it's so hard to read the signatures?

I did something wrong the same picture again, failed to remove it.

Nice wehrpass.  I think a lot of men should have been awarded the Bandenkampf, thousands participated in those operations but is rarely seen.

Unfortunately he isn't listed in Volksbund so we're no nearer to knowing where he was killed. It looks like he might of been in the area of Ljubetsch but that is just based on where the unit was located in 1943.

Note also that Sich. Batl. 701 and 791 were probably the same unit, in fact (after transformation or simply renumbering), as shown here buy the same number of Kriegs St. Rolle. (p. 12).

I assume it was an independent unit? Best then to find to which Armee they were assigned too and find if they are NARA Rolls available. 

The unit had the following FP Nr 03875:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 6. Zug Fla-MGReserve-Kompanie 110,
(2.1.1940-27.4.1940) gestrichen,
(28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Stab III u. 9.-12. Kompanie Festungs-Infanterie-Regiment A dann Stab I u. 1.-4. Kompanie Wach-Bataillon 701,
(27.1.1942-14.7.1942) Stab u. 1.-4. Kompanie Sicherungs-Bataillon 701,
(15.7.1942-24.1.1943) Stab u. 1.-4. Kompanie Sicherungs-Bataillon 791,
(7.11.1944-Kriegsende) 22.11.1944 gestrichen.

Taking a look at the Vermisstenbildliste shows members of the unit missing around Ljubetsch (am Dnieper) for September 1943.

/Ian

Thank you for the answer, interesting. On pages 22 and 23, stamps are very weak but you can see the numbers 03875 with magnifying glass and as I suggest a zero but on page 25 there is a stamp where you clearly see 03875 D.
Regards

4 hours ago, Ian Jewison said:

Taking a look at the Vermisstenbildliste shows members of the unit missing around Ljubetsch (am Dnieper) for September 1943.

Interestingly Grenadier Regiment 19 was there at the same time under 2 Armee, Heeresgruppe Mitte.

Als am 26. August der russische Großangriff losbrach, wurde das Regiment neben der 251 Infanterie Division in die Front geschoben. Bis zum 30. September 1943 hatte das Regiment nach schweren Kämpfen nur noch eine Stärke einer Kompanie. Über Nowgorod und Kolmy zog sich das Regiment bis zum 25. September zum Dnjepr zurück, der bei Ljubetsch überschritten wurde. Das Regiment bezog neue Verteidigungsstellungen. Ab dem 15. Oktober begannen erneut russische Angriffe über den Dnjepr hinweg. Am 21. Oktober kam es beim III. Bataillon zu einem russischen Durchbruch, bei dem das Bataillon fast vollständig aufgerieben wurde. Am 22. Oktober begann das Absetzen der 7 Infanterie Division nach Westen.

/Ian

This is the last document I have about him, I do not know how to get more information about him but I keep looking.
Thank you all

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.