Historical War Militaria Forum
Sammy

1942 dated Royal Navy ensign - history?

Hey guys! I’m trying to find out some history on a RN ensign I just bought. It’s dated 1942, stamped with WD and the broad arrow, and has “RN 373438” stamped on the bunting along with some kind of badge/crest/logo. I’m hoping that that number links it to a particular vessel. It allegedly came from an RN “torpedo unit” according to the vendor. I’d love to know it’s history, and if anyone can tell me what vessel it came off. It’s also 168cm long, for reference. 

Hi, this is some interesting information.  I would imagine that the British flags would be similar to German In that the specific size would be for a certain ship size.  I have a British union jack from the HMS Ariadne which was traded for a few professional baseball caps.   I really can't say I have seen a date stamped on a flag before. Anyway, here is a good image of a British Ensign.   https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wwii-huge-mint-british-royal-navy-1918458542

These are the typical stamping on a flag like this.

I would love to see photos if you pick it up. 

Best Regards,

JustinG

Here’s one - the markings are a little hard to make out. I’ll take some better pics when I get home. 

Thanks for replying, by the way.. I’d really love to find out about it. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The markings are from left to right:

[broad arrow] 1942  [some kind of badge/logo] LT  W.D.   RN373438

“WD” and “RN” seem fairly self evident. I’m hoping that number might be the key.  

Well, I would say that this would be typical for a smaller boat or unit due to the size one would expect.  I thank you for showing more detailed images.  I hope you can find some more information.  

Best Regards,

JustinG

any chance of better close up pics of the markings and the body of the flag?  Wartime flags usually have obvious signs of the weave in the fabric

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.