Historical War Militaria Forum
Dagoromagna

M40 Italian Medical Officer combat tunic

I've searched for this one for a long time.

As you see I took as an example a period photo of a Medical Officer of the "Alpini" Corps...my Grandfather!

I've only his sword, some epaulettes for the M34 tunic, his wedding photo in uniform...my uncle has his Beretta fully marked with E.F. (Era Fascista) and Royal markings.

This is the basic tunic in rough troop wool worn in the field. This Doctor had 2 "medaglie al Valore" and a unofficial " Volontario della Guerra 1940-43" medal. Several field repair on the tunic, roughly made and applied insignia for a Tenente Medico (red colour in the Italian Army).

Thanks for watching

G.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

This is a very nice tunic, and also an interesting story. And interesting that you still have a few things left in the family. Do you have some references to the medical equipment from the Italien side..?..Or is that not obtainable..?.

My grandfathers littlebrother (on my fathers side) was in the Waffen-SS, he joined after he had been to Finland, he must have seen something there that made him angry. He joined "Wiking" at first, but was in other units after beeing out with wounds. He was wounded 3 times. What is more interesting, I think, is that he surrendered on august 14th..!!..He was in the last fighting in Chechoslovakia, but he and his comrades did not want to surrender to the russians (understandable), so the group of 14 decided to try and evade capture, and went east (!!) - into and behind the russian lines, here they turned south and by walking at night and laying low in the day, they reached americans in Austria in august. But, just 2 men left. He then spent 2 years in danish prison.

Nothing is left from his time; I could wish that his uniform/uniforms and soldbuch, medals etc would be preserved..but no..

Hans Kristian

Thanks for sharing this Italian medical uniform ! Glad you still have some memorabilia left of your grandfather. You already shared some beautiful pieces with us, can't wait what you still may show us.

Hans, also thank you for sharing some family history, sadly you don't have anything of him anymore - you know what happened with his stuff?

Thanks for sharing this Italian medical uniform ! Glad you still have some memorabilia left of your grandfather. You already shared some beautiful pieces with us, can't wait what you still may show us.

Hans, also thank you for sharing some family history, sadly you don't have anything of him anymore - you know what happened with his stuff?

actually no, I have no idea..At the time when I got the information I was about 12, and I did not think in terms of collecting. But when he arrived back in denmark, he was sentenced to 2 years in prison as a traitor (despite the goverment accepted the idea during the war - they ofcourse made a law after the war with effect from 1940..anyway, this is still a debtate in denmark..)

I am sure his clothes was discarded or something when he went to jail.

Hans Kristian

Great story Hans! He was brave and had luck to avoid soviet capture...

As far as his stuff...at that time no one wanted to be related to SS (that's why we find stripped tunics...), he surely threw away his uniform in Tscheckoslovakia and tried to find some civilian clothes.

Every time I see someone that lived that times I say "if all of them had write a little book of memoirs!"

One of my patients told me, before giving me his stuff (somemedals, a german bayonet and an english machete), that he was enlisted in the Luftwaffe at 17 in Bologna, then sent to Anzio. He managed after the fights to escape and come home by feet (400 km). I asked him "and your uniform?", and he "given to a Sheperd!"

Yes, I am sure you are spot on Giovanni, many people at the time just could not see any point in keeping these uniforms.

My girlfriend is from Ukraine, and from the first time I visited the country I was looking all over for relics and I did not find anything..only a very few uninteresting artifacts...and why..?..well, the Ukrainians have used the uniforms for clothes..reworked the stuff..and my mother-in-law told me this about helmets.; "ah yes, helmets, yes, we had many of these..but after the separation from the USSR we collected them and sold them for scrap-value..."... :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  ..but, so is life for them, and nothing can be done..or undone..

Hans Kristian

This is a very nice tunic, and also an interesting story. And interesting that you still have a few things left in the family. Do you have some references to the medical equipment from the Italien side..?..Or is that not obtainable..?.

My grandfathers littlebrother (on my fathers side) was in the Waffen-SS, he joined after he had been to Finland, he must have seen something there that made him angry. He joined "Wiking" at first, but was in other units after beeing out with wounds. He was wounded 3 times. What is more interesting, I think, is that he surrendered on august 14th..!!..He was in the last fighting in Chechoslovakia, but he and his comrades did not want to surrender to the russians (understandable), so the group of 14 decided to try and evade capture, and went east (!!) - into and behind the russian lines, here they turned south and by walking at night and laying low in the day, they reached americans in Austria in august. But, just 2 men left. He then spent 2 years in danish prison.

Nothing is left from his time; I could wish that his uniform/uniforms and soldbuch, medals etc would be preserved..but no..

Hans Kristian

Didn't know they were still fighting in August.

Kevin, they were so to speak not fighting, just trying to avoid capture by the russians, and they chose this more complex way to do this...But ofcourse, the war in europe was over at the time..

Hans Kristian

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.